Description:In this singing game enjoyed by Brazilian children for generations, dancers move in a circle, then call one child into the center to recite a verse. Instructor Jennifer Rose Escobar sings and directs the dance with a group of intermediate students.
- Watch the video for ideas on how to teach this traditional dance to your students.
- Show the video to students to help them learn the dance or understand the cultural significance of the dance.
- Show this segment with other circle dances from the toolkit (Punchinella, Seven Jumps, and Little Johnny Brown) and ask students to compare the dances.
- Have students write poetry to recite in the circle.
- Sing the song in Portuguese, and have students from other cultures in your class share folk dances from their cultures.
- Show to compare dances from diverse cultures.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the Dance and Culture section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.