DanceSense Program 1: Understanding Dance
Description:This exploration of what dance isand isntincludes dance performances and interviews with dancers and choreographers. The program is divided into three segments. A segment on Movement compares dance to other forms of movement in nature and in sports. A segment on Choreography explains the role of the choreographer in the creation of a dance. And a segment on Culture introduces the three main categories of dance: artistic, ceremonial, and recreational.
- To build your own knowledge of dance.
- To show to students as an introduction to dance, to begin a study unit on dance, before attending a dance performance, or as an overview of what dance is and why people dance.
- To introduce movement activities in which students observe and copy movements from nature.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the Dance and Culture and History and Styles sections of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- See the teachers guide in the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit.
- downloadable teachers guide
- description and broadcast schedule