DanceSense Program 2: The Dance of Culture
Description:This program explores the origins of dance and encourages respect for dance as a part of many cultures. The four segments show a wide variety of dances from the United States and around the world. The segment on Culture features the Kathak of India, kabuki dance from Japan, Yoruba dances from West Africa, a folkloric dance from Cuba, and a native dance from Alaska. A segment on Popular Social Dance shows the Charleston, the Lindy hop, the jitterbug, and swing dance. The waltz and Acadian dances are featured in a segment on Cultural Changes, and the segment on Comparing Cultures explores the influences of Spanish and African cultures on dances of the Caribbean.
- To build your own knowledge of dance.
- To introduce class discussions or student explorations of cultural dances.
- To prepare students to learn dances from other cultures.
- Show in conjunction with segments from the Dances from Many Cultures video/DVD, the African Root video/DVD, and/or Part III of the DanceSense Enhanced DVD to compare cultural dances.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the Dance and Culture and History and Styles sections of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- See the teachers guide in the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit.
- downloadable teachers guide
- description and broadcast schedule