DanceSense Program 5: The Moving Body
Description:Two segments explore locomotor and non-locomotor movement, how dance movement differs from other types of movement, and dancers training and techniques. In the segment Maintenance and Training, dancers describe how they stay healthy and fit. The segment also looks at the dancers concept of good body alignment and balance, visits a dance studio, and discusses specific needs of dance attire. The segment Aspects of Movement explores dynamics and illustrates locomotor movement and non-locomotor movement.
- To build your own knowledge of dance.
- To introduce or review locomotor and non-locomotor movement.
- To prepare students to use the Responding to Dance guide in the toolkit.
- To have students describe and analyze the locomotor and non-locomotor movements in a live or taped dance performance. (A variety of performances are found on the Dance Performances, African Root, and Dances from Many Cultures tapes/DVDs.)
- To prepare students for movement activities exploring locomotor and non-locomotor movements.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the Responding to Dance, History and Styles, and Creative Dance sections of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- See the teachers guide in the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit.
- downloadable teachers guide
- description and broadcast schedule