DanceSense Program 7: Ballet
Description:Four segments offer an overview of the history, vocabulary, and characteristics of ballet. Ballet Style provides a brief history and introduces terms. In Ballet Training, dancers explain how they train and rehearse to achieve the ability to convey ballets sense of weightlessness and grace. Ballet Innovators introduces important individuals such as George Balanchine and Mikhail Baryshnikov. And Watching Ballet offers ideas on how to understand and enjoy a ballet performance.
- To build your own knowledge of ballet.
- To introduce class discussions or student research on ballet.
- To prepare students to attend a live ballet performance.
- Show with the segment Arabian and Chinese Dances from The Nutcracker on the Dance Performances video/DVD to have students discuss or analyze a ballet performance.
- To show with the Dance Vocabulary/Dance Positions segment from Part IV of the DanceSense Enhanced DVD to compare ballet, modern, and jazz styles.
- To show with the segment Ballet: Helen Starr on the DanceSense Enhanced DVD for an in-depth look at a ballet dancer.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- See the teachers guide in the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit.
- downloadable teachers guide
- description and broadcast schedule