DanceSense Program 8: Modern Dance
Description:Two segments help students understand what modern dance is and how it reflects the ever-evolving spirit of innovation. Modern Dance History introduces pioneers of modern danceMichael Fokine, Isadora Duncan, Ruth St. Denis, Martha Graham, and Alvin Ailey. Modern Dance Style shows characteristics of the style, such as dancing in bare feet and the use of the whole torso.
- To build your own knowledge of modern dance.
- To introduce class discussions or student research on modern dance.
- To prepare students to attend a live modern dance performance.
- Show with one or more of the modern dance performances found on the Dance Performances video/DVD (Lucky Day, The Graveyard, and Hot) to have students discuss or analyze a modern dance performance.
- Show with the Art !Art! Barking Dog segment from Part III of the DanceSense Enhanced DVD.
- Show with the Dance Vocabulary/Dance Positions segment from Part IV of the DanceSense Enhanced DVD to compare ballet, modern, and jazz styles.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- See the teachers guide in the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit.
- downloadable teachers guide
- description and broadcast schedule