DanceSense Program 9: Jazz Dance
Description:Four segments explore jazz dances connection to jazz music and its unique status in American dance. Jazz History traces the origins of jazz dance in American social dance and the forms intimate relationship to jazz music. Jazz Technique introduces important physical characteristics of jazz dance such as isolations and coordination, musical aspects such as syncopation, and the importance of structure in jazz dance. Jazz Styles points out characteristics of jazz dance, including the concept of swing, and explores styles that have emerged from jazz dance over the years. Watching Jazz offers ideas for understanding and enjoying jazz dance.
- To build your own knowledge of jazz dance.
- To introduce class discussions or student research on jazz dance and music.
- To prepare students to attend a live jazz dance performance.
- Show with the jazz performances Heat and Ode to Sabrina on the Dance Performances video/DVD to have students discuss or analyze a jazz dance performance.
- Show with the JazzArts at Western Kentucky University segment from Part IV of the DanceSense Enhanced DVD.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- See the teachers guide in the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit.
- downloadable teachers guide
- description and broadcast schedule