Dance Traditions: Jean Ritchie on Play Party Games
Description:Dancing Threads series host Anndrena Belcher interviews traditional Kentucky performer Jean Ritchie about the play party games Ritchie played as a youngster in Eastern Kentucky. Ritchie discusses the importance of the games as community celebrations and to social activities such as courting.
- Show in conjunction with students watching or learning the play party game Goin to Boston from the Dances from Many Cultures video/DVD or another folk dance that originated in Europe.
- To build your own knowledge of play party games and Appalachian dance.
- As part of a study of Kentucky culture.
- To introduce a class discussion of games played by students and their families/ancestors.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the Dance and Culture section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
About Dancing Threads:
- downloadable teachers guide with numerous classroom ideas (PDF format)
- description and broadcast schedule
About Jean Ritchie:
- companion web site to the KET documentary Mountain Born: The Jean Ritchie Story
- official Jean Ritchie web site