Dance Traditions: Kathak
Description:Kathak is a classical Indian dance. The word kathak means to tell a story. Although it is derived from dance dramas of ancient India, the kathak today is less a way to tell religious stories than an entertainment exploring rhythm and movement. This excerpt is from a Mecca Dance Studio performance.
- Show in conjunction with DanceSense Program 2, The Dance of Culture.
- As part of a study of Indian culture.
- Show with other dances on the Dances from Many Cultures video/DVD to compare and contrast cultural dances.
- Compare with other dances that tell stories, such as ballet.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- See the teachers guide in the History and Styles section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
- downloadable teachers guide
- description and broadcast schedule