West African Dance: Description and Warm-Up
Description:The segment begins with a brief performance of Mouwa, a West African dance used in farming. Following the performance, Harlina Churn-Diallo and Yaya Diallo explain basic aspects of West African dance and conduct warm-up exercises that offer opportunities for participation.
- Watch to build your own knowledge and understanding of African dance and influence, or for ideas on how to teach the dance movements to your students.
- Show to students as a guide for movement activities.
- Show as a part of social studies activities relating to African culture.
- Show with other African dance performances in the toolkit to compare and contrast.
- Show with Afro-Cuban dance excerpts to compare and contrast.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
See the Dance and Culture section of the Dance Arts Toolkit binder.
About The Arts II: West African Dance: