Contemporary American Theater: The Ryan Interview
Description:The short play The Ryan Interview was written by Arthur Miller, one of the foremost playwrights of the 20th century. KET produced the work for television, in a 35-minute presentation shot on location in Kentucky, as part of the American Shorts series. Ashley Judd stars as a journalist assigned to interview Mr. Ryan, played by Eddie Bracken, on the occasion of his 100th birthday. Expecting the article to be a mere curiosity piece, the young reporter is surprised when she finds Ryan to be a rich source of stories from a vanishing world.
- Show as an example of contemporary theater.
- Show as an example of a duet.
- Show and compare to another work by Miller; e.g., The Crucible or Death of a Salesman.
- Show and analyze in terms of the elements of drama.
- Discuss how this scene might be different if performed onstage instead of on video.
For more information:
(These links may leave the Arts Toolkit.)
About American Shorts: The Ryan Interview: