7¼" diameter (7½" including stopper) by 2 3⁄16" deep
This round wooden barrel canteen is made of cedar and is held together by two tin straps. On one side is an inscription that reads “W. C. FLETCHER 4TH KY.” A house is carved on the other side of the canteen. Wood was used for the canteen because metal supplies were low in the South by 1862. William C. Fletcher joined the Confederate Army in 1861. He was about 18 years old. He died on May 7, 1865, most likely while fighting at the battle of Dallas, in Georgia.
From the collections of the
Kentucky Historical Society
Accession Numbers 1995.04.01a and 1995.04.01b