Students create and display posters defining and illustrating essential arts vocabulary (from the Kentucky Core Content).
- Arts and Humanities
- adaptable for any assessed content area
- Students need to understand essential arts vocabulary used in the Kentucky Core Content.
- Student-created visual aids reinforce vocabulary and trigger concept memory.
Toolkit Resource: appropriate glossary (online or in the toolkit binder)
- Lead a student-friendly discussion of one or more areas of the Core Content and its purpose in instruction/assessment.
- Provide a list of arts terms/definitions or have students go to the glossaries online at the Arts Toolkit web site.
- Review elements of art and principles of design prior to poster making.
- Choosing one or more terms from the Core Content area vocabulary, students develop large flash cards that use text and illustrations/graphics to define the terms.
- Use the flash cards in classrooms, the lunchroom, or other school common areas for practical use and review throughout the term.
Extend: For terms that indicate movement (e.g., some dance terms), have students define via a demonstration. Consider taping these definitions.
Author: Mary Henson