Video Notes Teacher’s Guide
The Art and Science of Glass
- All of the colors of glass come from the country of Germany.
- One color bar is melted down into a symmetrical ball.
- Mixing of colors is done while the glass is in the molten state.
- When the heating is just right, the crew puts in a 30-foot cane.
- Powell and his crew spend hours and hours just chopping and cutting the glass into small beads.
- Stephen Rolfe Powell makes the color selections.
- The colors are laid out on steel plates.
- The team often works in the evening so they can see the colors.
- Teamwork is important in glassblowing, because everyone depends on one another.
- Color pickup is the part where the beads are laid on a piece of glass.
- During the last blowup, a drop of sweat falling on the glass could break it.
- Stephen Rolfe Powell says he shoots for a certain proportion of neck and lift.
- Stephen Rolfe Powell says he thinks his art is about beauty.
- The finished piece reminds me of ... [individual student answer].