Elements of Art
While visiting the University of Kentucky Art Museum, KET humanities instructor Elizabeth Jewell uses several pieces of art from the museums collection to discuss the elements of art, including color, line, value, space, shape, form, and texture. She shows how these elements work together in various combinations to influence our experience of a work of art and compares several works to show the different ways in which artists employ the elements of art.
- Show as an introduction to or a review of the elements of art.
- Use as a model of an instructional museum tour.
- Show to engage students skills of analysis, using the elements of art to look at other artworks besides those used as examples.
- Use in conjunction with student analysis of artworks found in the Kentucky Virtual Art Museum.
- Show to begin a discussion of the art appreciation process.