So just how much do you know about Kentuckys basketball history? Heres a timeline of great moments tracing more than a century of our states roundball heritage.
- First basketball games in Kentucky are played at the old YMCA gym in Louisville.
- Berea College organizes its first basketball team.
- Despite objections from the womens physical education director, student interest leads to the first womens basketball team at the University of Kentucky.
- Transylvania University and Centre College begin playing basketball.
- UK mens team plays its first-ever game against Georgetown College. Georgetown wins 15-6.
- Eastern Kentucky University fields a team for the first time. Theyre known as the Maroons.
- University of Louisville fields first team.
- After officially becoming the Wildcats, UKs men boast their first perfect season with a 9-0 record.
- Western Kentucky University fields first womens basketball team.
- First unofficial state high school tournament is played at Centre College. Henderson wins the championship.
- Lexington High (Henry Clay) wins the states first Kentucky High School Athletic Association-sanctioned state tournament.
- Led by center Ed Diddle, the Centre College team goes 11-0 and is hailed as the best team in the South.
- KHSAA begins sponsorship of a girls bracket in the state tournament.
- UK wins its first major basketball championship, taking the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association Tournament and the title Basketball Champion of the South.
- Ed Diddle, coach of WKUs mens and womens teams, defeats UKs womens team, coached by law school student A.B. Happy Chandler, to win the Kentucky state womens championship.
- Ashland beats the Carr Creekers in a now-legendary four-overtime high school game.
- Morehead State University fields its first team.
- Beating out 71 other applicants, Adolph Rupp is hired to coach UKs mens team.