KET Program Focuses on Teen Suicide
The tragic suicides of several young people who were bullied have made national headlines. KET takes on this timely issue in a new program that offers hope for those who fear their loved one may be at risk.
Before It's Too Late: Preventing Teen Suicide first aired Monday, Nov. 15 on KET.
For More Information:
National Suicide Prevention 24-Hour Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK
Make A Difference for Kids Promotes awareness and prevention of cyber-bullying and suicide.
The Trevor Project, 1-866-488-7368. This is a free, confidential, 24-hour national helpline, specifically geared toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
In the program, hosted by Renee Shaw, family members who have been directly impacted by teen suicide share their stories, and experts provide advice for those who fear a teen they know may be considering suicide.
In 2009, a survey of Kentucky high school students found that 15.1 percent had seriously considered attempting suicide within the last 12 months. Before It's Too Late explores cyberbullying, depression, the warning signs of suicide and new legislation designed to prevent teen suicide. The program also visits an innovative suicide prevention workshop at Mercer County High School.
- David Marshall, director of secondary education for the Bullitt County Public School System
- Sheila Stanton, co-founder of Make a Difference for Kids Inc., which promotes awareness and prevention of cyberbullying and suicide
- Jan Ulrich, youth suicide prevention marketing specialist for the Kentucky Department for Behavioral Health
- Michael McFarland, licensed marriage and family therapist and former Kentucky state suicide prevention coordinator
- William Jackson, a father who lost a son to suicide who now speaks publicly to teens about the effect of suicide on the loved ones left behind
Stanton and Ulrich also represent family members who have lost a loved one to suicide.
This program is intended for an adult audience. Schools interested in finding materials to comply with HB51 should contact:
BH/DID Suicide Prevention Technical Assistance and Social Marketing Coordinator
KY Department for Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities
100 Fair Oaks Lane 4E-D
Frankfort, KY 40621
Before It's Too Late: Preventing Teen Suicide is a KET production and is produced by Laura Krueger.