River of Earth
by James Still
Works by James Still:
- Hounds on the Mountain (poems). New York: Viking Press, 1937. Rpt. Anvil Press, Lexington, KY, 1965.
- River of Earth (novel). New York: Viking Press, 1940. Rpt. Popular Library, New York, 1968, and by University Press of Kentucky, Lexington, 1978.
- On Troublesome Creek (stories). New York: Viking, 1941.
- Way Down Yonder on Troublesome Creek: Appalachian Riddles and Rusties. New York: G.P. Putnams Sons, 1974.
- The Wolfpen Rusties: Appalachian Riddles and Gee-Haw Whimmy-Diddles. New York: G.P. Putnams Sons, 1975.
- Pattern of a Man and Other Stories. Lexington, KY: Gnomon Press, 1976.
- Sporty Creek: A Novel About an Appalachian Boyhood. New York: G.P. Putnams Sons, 1977.
- Jack and the Wonder Beans. New York: G.P. Putnams Sons, 1977. Illus. Margot Tomes. Rpt. University Press of Kentucky, Lexington, 1996.
- The Run for the Elbertas. Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky, 1980.
- River of Earth: The Poem and Other Poems. Lexington, KY: Workshop of the King Library Press, 1982-83.
- The Wolfpen Poems. Berea, KY: Berea College Press, 1986.
- The Wolfpen Notebooks: A Record of Appalachian Life. Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky, 1991.
- Autobiographical essay. Contemporary Authors Autobiography Series; vol. 17, pp. 231-48. Gale Research.
- From the Mountain, from the Valley: New and Collected Poems. Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky, 2001.
About James Still
- Iron Mountain Review: The James Still Issue. Vol II, No. 1, Summer 1984. Contains a conversation between Still and Jim Wayne Miller plus essays about various aspects of Stills work. For information, write IMR, Box 64, Emory, VA 24327.
- Man on Troublesome by Dean Cadle. First appeared in The Yale Review in 1965. Rpt. Appalachian Heritage, Vol. 4, No. 1, 1976.
- The Seamless Vision of James Still by Fred Chappell. Appalachian Journal, Vol. 8, No. 3, Spring 1981.
About Literature of the Appalachian Region
- Voices from the Hills. Ed. Robert J. Higgs and Ambrose Manning. New York: Ungar, 1975.
- Appalachian Inside Out: A Sequel to Voices from the Hills. Vol. 1: Conflict and Change. Vol. 2: Culture and Custom. Ed. Robert J. Higgs, Ambrose Manning, and Jim Wayne Miller. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 1995.
- Old Wounds, New Words: Poems from the Appalachian Poetry Project. Ed. Bob Henry Baber, George Ella Lyon, and Gurney Norman. Ashland, KY: The Jesse Stuart Foundation, 1994.