Mike Heitz, Metro Parks
Mike Heitz is the director of Louisville Metro Parks. In this position Mr. Heitz oversees 1,000 employees, 122 parks with 14,500 acres, nine golf courses, and 16 community centers. He has served as park director since 2003.
Mr. Heitz is a registered architect in Texas, Kentucky and North Carolina.
He received a Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Kentucky, a Master of Science in Community Development from the University of Louisville and a Master of Public Administration from Southwest Texas State University.
Mr. Heitz is involved with a variety of civic and professional organizations, including: American Institute of Architects (AIA), Kentucky Chapter of AIA, Louisville Olmsted Parks Conservancy Board, Kentucky Derby Festival Board, Kentucky Recreation and Parks Society Executive Board, Greater Louisville Sports Commission, Inc., University of Louisville Big East Facilities Committee, 21st Century Board of Directors and Louisville Metro Parks Foundation.
Facts about Metro Parks & Recreation:
- 124 parks covering approximately 15,000 acres
- 168 tennis courts
- 104 athletic fields
- 60 miles of paved exercise paths
- 40 miles of marked hiking trails
- 18 Olmsted Parks
- 9 golf courses
- 6 parkways covering 14.5 miles
- 4 cemeteries
- 2 historic homes
- 3 outdoor amphitheaters
- 1 nature center
- 19 summer camps
- 16 community centers
- 7 free spraygrounds
- 5 swimming pools, including Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center
- senior citizen centers
- 1 arts education center
- 1 adapted leisure center, for citizens with disabilities
- Program 402
- Author Susan Reigler, award-winning designer Clifton Nicholson, Alley Cat Advocates and remembering Louisville's White City amusement park. (#402)