Skip Navigation

 

Wagner's and Turf Goods

Wagner's Pharmacy has been a Louisville tradition for nearly 90 years. The business has become synonymous with Churchill Downs, for both regulars from the old school of horse racing and first-timers.

Wagner’s opened in 1922 when Leo Wagner bought Hagen’s Pharmacy on the northeast corner of Fourth Street and Central Avenue, where he had worked since he was 14.

Threatened by the presence of another newly opened pharmacy on the block, Wagner looked for a market to corner — and found it at Churchill Downs. He let the horsemen buy their cigarettes and other weekly staples on credit and generated a friendship and loyalty that has lasted for three generations.

"Louisville Life" discusses the history of Wagner's and its continued success with owner Brenda Wagner. We also visit Turf Goods, right next door, which sells custom-made tack products including jockey silks, saddle towels and other accessories for horses.

Program 424
"Louisville Life" celebrates the Kentucky Derby! Join in the fun as we visit a popular hangout near Churchill Downs, check out designer hats, salute the twin spires and more. (#424)