Conrad-Caldwell House Museum
The Conrad-Caldwell House Museum is the cornerstone of historic St. James Court, in Old Louisville. This stately house, also known as “Conrad’s Castle,” is a Richardsonian Romanesque structure, and cost only $35,000 when it was built in 1895.
The impressive exterior is covered in gargoyles, swags, and fleur-de-lis. The interior is full of interesting and beautiful antiques, intricately hand-carved woodwork, and colorful stained glass, all echoing the elegance of Victorian period Louisville.
According to The Encyclopedia of Louisville, the house was built for Theophilus Conrad, a local leather manufacturer, and designed by Louisville architect Arthur Loomis. After Conrad’s death in 1905, the Caldwell family purchased the house and lived there for 35 years. For the next 40 years, it served as the Rose Anna Hughes Presbyterian Retirement Home.
In 1987, the St. James Court Historic Foundation bought the Conrad-Caldwell House and began a restoration project. It has been restored and re-imagined as the family home of William and Elaine Caldwell, circa 1908. It now operates as a museum and is a popular site for weddings. It also has been a stop on the Victorian Ghost Tour of Old Louisville.