School Leadership Resources
This Web site and resource center for principal training is part of an outreach campaign to enhance Kentucky’s education reform progress, focusing on the importance of school leadership and principal training programs which is made possible by a grant from The Wallace Foundation, a source of ideas for improving school leadership. The centerpiece of the outreach campaign is The Principal Story, a PBS documentary film about school leadership.
The Principal Story/The Wallace Foundation
• The Principal Story premieres on the acclaimed PBS P.O.V. television series, Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 10/9 p.m. CT on KET1. Visit KET”s The Principal Story page for related video vignettes and conversation guides. The videos showcase programs around the United States that address school leadership professional development: Building a Better Pipeline to the Principalship -- Atlanta; Closing the Achievement Gap -- Oregon; Leadership Academy -- New York City; and SAM I Am, School Administration Managers -- Louisville, Ky.
• KET produced a panel discussion, Kentucky Principals, Leading By Example, with a live studio audience, to be broadcast one hour prior to The Principal Story on September 15. The panel focused on why Kentuckians should care about school leadership. The production tells Kentucky’s story of principal reform by focusing on schools with excellent models of principal leadership and statewide efforts taking place with Wallace Foundation support. The program targets an audience of policymakers and education stakeholders. Learn more...
• The Wallace Foundation Knowledge Center: Download free publications on educational leadership
• The Principal Story at the Wallace Foundation : Learn more about the film and find connections to related resources from the Wallace Foundation
• The Principal Story, at PBS: A description of the film as well as connections to broadcast schedules across the nation
• To purchase the documentary, The Principal Story, for home or educational use, go to Nomadic Pictures or call 773-478-9594.
Selected clips from The Principal Story
Download The Principal Story Field Guide: (1.42 MB) A Companion to the PBS Documentary for Promoting Leadership for Learning, produced by the National Staff Development Council, accompanies THE PRINCIPAL STORY documentary and Clip Reel. Aimed at practicing and aspiring principals and principal trainers, supervisors and mentors, the Field Guide offers guidance and resources to turn viewing into professional learning experiences that focus on effective leader performance to improve teaching and learning.
KET and Kentucky Resources
• Literacy Leadership in Action : A Web site for principals and literacy leaders, produced by KET and Kentucky Department of Education, features video clips that examine successful literacy programs at nine Kentucky schools and explore how one district is taking its first steps on the journey to a comprehensive literacy program.
• Related article: Read about educator John Russ who uses the Literacy Leadership interactive learning tool to prepare his aspiring elementary school principals for their work.
• Kentucky Cohesive Leadership System (KyCLS) Kentucky is utilizing a Wallace Foundation grant to focus on the challenges of “developing leadership that benefits the learning of all students using a more system-wide, coordinated approach to state-, district- and school-level policies and practices.”
• School Administration Manager (SAM) Project This page is a comprehensive resource for learning about what a School Administration Manager (or SAM) is and does. Included are job descriptions, success tracking for programs already in place; training materials and a video presentation. Kentucky’s SAM project successes (Kentucky has 57 SAMs in schools) has encouraged the Wallace Foundation to support SAM projects in eight other states.
KET’s education partners are
• the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE)
• Kentucky Association of School Councils
• Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence
• Kentucky Association of School Administrators
• Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB)
• Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
• the NewCities Institute Partnership for Kentucky Schools
These colleges and universities in Kentucky offer principal training programs:
- Bellarmine University
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Morehead State University
- Northern Kentucky University
- Spalding University
- Union College
- University of the Cumberlands
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville
- Western Kentucky University