Election 2002: The Primary Vote
Video: KET returns coverage | Help with RealPlayer®
Four of Kentuckys 2002 congressional racesfor the U.S. Senate and three House seatsincluded contested party primaries.
On primary election night, May 28, KET presented a full hour of coverage and analysis of primary vote returns. Anchored by Bill Goodman and Renee Shaw, Election 2002: The Primary Vote also features commentary by political observers John David Dyche and John McGarvey. The program includes the following discussions and interviews:
- a look at congressional race results
- commentary on the Louisville mayoral and council primaries
- speech by Lois Combs Weinberg, Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate
- commentary on the Lexington mayoral primary
- interview with Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Republican incumbent being challenged in the fall
- round-up of Kentucky General Assembly race results
- interview with state party chairs Ellen Williams (Republican) and Jerry Johnson (Democrat)
- interview with U.S. Rep. Tom Barlow, Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate
- preview of the fall congressional races
In the weeks leading up to the primary election, KET invited all of the candidates in the contested U.S. House and Senate primaries to participate in televised forums. All four 2002 primary candidate forums are also available for viewing online.
KETs 2002 election coverage was produced by Deidre Clark. Donna Moore was executive producer.