Questions To Answer While Exploring the Ellis Wilson Web Site
from Louisville art teacher Patrick Robertson, who also provided a model art project and high school writing prompts to use with the Ellis Wilson documentary
- Where and when was Ellis Wilson born?
- How were blacks treated during this time period?
- Which painting won Wilson $3,000?
- Which painting was the subject of a Cosby television episode?
- What did Wilson’s father do for a living?
- Where did Wilson first attend college?
- What was going on in Chicago when Wilson arrived?
- What do we call the period in which there was a resurgence of literature, knowledge, and art coming out of New York’s African-American community?
- What was the New Negro Art Movement?
- What was the Harmon Foundation?
- What do the initials WPA stand for, and what was the organization’s purpose?
- In the 1940s, what did Ellis say he wanted to do?
- What is a Guggenheim Fellowship?
- What were some of Wilson’s themes in the 1940s?
- Where is Daufuskie?
- What Wilson paintings were shown at the Speed Museum in 1951?
- Who is Albert Sperath?
- Where is Ellis Wilson buried?
- Name the African-American actor/singer accused of Communism.
- What did Wilson paint while on his Guggenheim Fellowship?