Explore important health issues in Kentucky from a fresh perspective by watching KET's Health Three60 series. The hour-long programs, hosted by Renee Shaw, present three sides of an issue in 60 minutes through a mix of studio and documentary segments.
Our Programs: Champions for Children's Health | Healthy Competition: How County Health Rankings Are Catalyzing Change | When Children Are Cruel | Citizens Taking Charge | No Health Without Mental Health | The Heart Facts | The New Face of Diabetes | Erasing the Stigma of Mental Illness | Probing Prescription Drug Abuse
Probing Prescription Drug Abuse
Adobe Flash Player is required for this content. (Installation instructions are available on the download page.)
If problems continue, contact our .
Kentucky's prescription-drug abuse epidemic is a sad tale of broken lives and shattered communities: more crime, more children in foster care, and soaring numbers of accidental overdoses and deaths. Health Three60 talks with three officials on the front lines about this crisis and features personal stories from recovering addicts. | Upcoming Airdates
Our Program Guests
- Baretta Casey MD, MPH, professor, University of Kentucky College of Public Health
- Van Ingram, executive director for the Kentucky Office of Drug Control Policy
- Karen Kelly, President, CEO, Operation UNITE
- Michelle McCarthy, community liaison for SelfRefind
- Stephanie Raglin, assistant director of the Hope Center Recovery Program for Women
- SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Find Treatment, a geographic locator for local (no money and no insurance) treatment options
24-hour help hotline—1-800-662-HELP
- HBO Addiction—Provides detailed information on topics such as basic background on understanding addiction, adolescent addiction, treatment, aftercare, stigma, and discrimination. Each topic also includes resources, related videos and links to related topics.
- Kentucky Office of Drug Control Policy—Provides a link to the 2011 Kentucky Substance Abuse Treatment Provider Directory, with extensive county-by-county listings of services and organizations dealing with alcohol and substance abuse problems.
- Operation UNITE (Unlawful Narcotics Investigations, Treatment and Education)—Works to rid communities of illegal drug use and educate the public about the dangers of using drugs.
Drug Tip Line—1-866-424-4382
Treatment Referral Line—1-800-90-UNITE (1-866-908-6483)
- Kentucky Narcotics Anonymous— The Kentuckiana Region includes Louisville, Western Kentucky and communities in Southern Indiana and Southern Illinois. The Bluegrass-Appalachian Region includes Lexington, Central Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Southern Kentucky and communities in Western Virginia. Meetings in Northern Kentucky are serviced by the Cincinnati Area of NA in the Ohio Region of NA.
- Casey's Law provides a means of intervening with someone who is unable to recognize the need for treatment due to his or her impairment.
Health Three60 is a KET production, funded in part
by the Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky.