Action Tips for Your Community
- Assess Walkability — Perform a walkability study (PDF) in your neighborhood.
- Ensure Safety — Have your business, neighborhood, faith or community organizations survey local parks, playgrounds and community centers to ensure they are safe, clean, and available to kids and families.
- Get Moving — Contact your local officials about opening city streets for activity. On new roadway projects, plan ahead for “complete streets” with biking and walking lanes.
- Play Outside — Enjoy the outdoors in one of Kentucky’s many beautiful parks. Get active while enjoying the natural beauty.
- Make It Fun — Involve your family, neighbors, school, church or other organizations in surveying your neighborhood and showcasing good places to walk and areas that need attention.
- Involve Everyone — Share the survey results from a walkability study with local officials and ask how you and your neighbors can help make the streets walkable.
- Offer Healthy Choices — Make sure your community festivals, block parties and church suppers offer healthy food alternatives. Check out this informative booklet: Eat Smart Kentucky, Guidelines for Healthy Foods and Beverages at Meetings, Gatherings and Events. (PDF)
- Eat Natural Foods — Serve kids the best of what nature has to offer with natural foods. Make sure your organization serves kids plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limits processed foods.