Your time zone has not been set. We invite you to customize our pages to your own time zone. In the meantime, all times default to Eastern Time.
2012/13 Program Schedule
- 101. Walking the Line
- Rebecca Gallion demonstrates contour drawing, in which a single continuous line is used to quickly capture an object's shape.
- 102. Moving Lines
- Alice Noel demonstrates gestural drawing: quickly drawn sketches of people or objects that incorporate large, directional movement.
- 103. Color
- Catherine Rubin explains the concepts of warm and cool colors and demonstrates an activity in which contrasting colors are used in assembling a cut-paper collage.
- 104. Geo-Vistas
- Ruben Moreno demonstrates a drawing, painting, and sculpting project that lets kids explore geometric and organic shapes in two and three dimensions.
- 105. Tessellations
- Thomas Freese shows how to create interlocking patterns with homemade stamps.
- 106. cARTography
- Cynthia Cooke blends art, science, mathematics, social studies, and writing into a project in which students create a map of an imaginary island and then talk and write about who lives there.
- 107. Drawing Animals
- Rex Robinson demonstrates a three-step process for drawing any animal.
- 108. Turning Everyday Objects Into Art
- Alice Noel leads students in the art of assemblagecreating sculptures out of pieces of ready-made materials and found objectsas they create individual portrait boxes.
- 109. Exploring the Third Dimension with Captain Cooke
- Cynthia Cooke shows how to use contour lines to create a three-dimensional topographic map of an island.
- 110. Celebrating Ancestors
- Maude Alexander shows examples of traditional African masks and leads students in a project to create masks representing their own ancestors.
- 111. Combining Words with Art
- Thomas Freese demonstrates how to make an accordion-fold book and introduces the art of calligraphy.
- 112. Animating Art
- Ruben Moreno explains the magic behind motion pictures as he builds a zoetrope, turning a series of drawings into an animated "movie."