Watch Job Jam Videos Online
Are you ready for a good job? Workplace Essential Skills covers the skills you’ll need to find a job and strategies that will help you get ahead. Interviews with experts who use communication, reading, writing, and math in their jobs every day will help you see how—and why—certain things are done the way they are.
Visit Assistance.ky.gov and find links to all kinds of help for Kentuckians in these hard economic times.
Job Jam was created for people who are out of work and looking for ways to jump-start their job search. Hosted by 84WHAS’ Francene, Job Jam took place Feb. 21, 2009 at Bellarmine University’s Amy Cralle Theater in the Wyatt Center for the Arts in Louisville.
Job Jam speakers explained how to use technology, the Web and modern networking to land a new job, along with e-mail, telephone, resume and networking secrets that lead to interviews. They also shared ways to manage money and a mortgage while looking for work and where to find affordable health insurance when the boss is no longer buying.
KET’s camera crew filmed the event and we are putting the videos online for those who couldn’t attend Job Jam. You’ll also find several speakers’ PowerPoint presentations and hand-out materials available for downloading.
Job Jam Speakers
Welcome — Francene and Dr. Joseph J. McGowan, President, Bellarmine University
Starting with a Resume — Steve Kraus
What Employers Want — Kathleen Gosser, Director of Operations Excellence, KFC Corp.
Until You Find Work, Managing Your Money — Mark Lamkin, CEO, Lamkin Wealth Management
COBRA and Insurance — Francene
Until You Find Work, Managing Your Mortgage — Steve Adams, Stock Yards Bank
Mental Health — Francene
Need School? — Fred Rhodes, Bellarmine University
Keeping the Faith— Dave Stone, Pastor, Southeast Christian Church
Powerpoint Presentations, other downloadable documents
*PowerPoint files require either Microsoft Office with PowerPoint or the free PowerPoint 2007 Viewer (works in Windows XP or above): www.microsoft.com (Warning: 25MB download).
- Resume tips, Powerpoint from Steve Kraus
- Interviewing Help, Powerpoint from Kathleen Gosser
- Money Management While Out of Work, Powerpoint from Mark Lamkin
- Balance Sheet, Excel Spreadsheet from Mark Lamkin
- Sample Creditors list, Word doc from Mark Lamkin
- Sample Letter to Creditor, Word doc from Mark Lamkin
- Sample Spending Plan, Word doc from Mark Lamkin
- Health Insurance Resources, .pdf file
- Tips on How to Avoid Foreclosure, Powerpoint from Steve Adams
- Higher Education Resources, Word doc from Fred Rhodes