Production Assistant for News Quiz
KET Division/Work Location
Education Production Unit
KET Network Center
This unpaid internship is available each fall and spring. One intern is needed each semester. Junior-, senior-, and graduate-level students attending any Kentucky college or university and Kentucky residents attending a college or university out of state may apply.
10 hours per week (approximately 150 hours per semester) are required, although special arrangements may be made when school requirements differ.
The intern will serve as a production assistant/associate producer for News Quiz, KET’s live weekly current-events quiz show for upper elementary and middle school students. Specific production-related duties will include the following:
- Assist the producer in pulling CNN Newsource video logs off the Internet.
- Search for and make notes about usable, appropriate video from the CNN Digital Media Gateway System.
- Participate in story/content and/or script-reading meetings.
- Operate a computerized teleprompter during the live weekly production.
- Label and shelve tapes.
This internship requires the student to be available at the following times:
- Thursdays from 11:30 am or noon to at least 2:30 pm, but preferably until between 3:30 and 5:00 pm (the program airs live on Thursday afternoons);
- Mondays beginning at 1:30 pm to attend a meeting and to begin looking for video;
- Tuesdays for a few more hours sometime during the day to find suitable tape, unless the student stays late and finds everything on Monday.
A strong interest in one or more of the following areas would be helpful: education, journalism, children, and writing. Computer familiarity is a plus. Must be good with details, enthusiastic, self-motivated, and able to work with little supervision.
Interested? Fill out our online internship application form.
Director of Personnel
600 Cooper Drive
Lexington, KY 40502-2296
(859) 258-7103 or (800) 255-0651
Fax (859) 258-7390