The Commonwealth Fund for KET, the fundraising arm of the Kentucky Authority for Educational Television, has the following job opening at its Network Center in Lexington, Ky.
Major Gifts Development Officer
President, Commonwealth Fund for KET
Plan and direct all aspects of a comprehensive major gifts development program designed to secure and grow individual, corporate and foundation support for KET programs, services and campaigns. Position includes building relationships and advancing KET’s mission.
- Understand KETís strategic vision in order to align needs with major gift funding opportunities (all private sources), and to communicate/articulate a case for support.
- Use all available resources, research private giving sources and their values, giving priorities and histories, relationships and timelines to identify viable prospects.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships to secure funds of $1000+ for the annual fund including the Fund for Excellence, Underwriting (media sponsorships) and events; plus major gifts for endowment campaigns; restricted grants for education, outreach, productions and technology; and planned gifts.
- Plan, execute and track a moves management system including a specified number of statewide face-to-face visits, contacts, events, follow-up and other cultivation and solicitation strategies that secure, retain, rejoin or upgrade donors. Manage personal portfolio of prospects, as well as portfolios for Fund and KET leadership.
- Write direct mail, grants and other major gift funding proposals for individual, corporate and foundation solicitations.
- Ensure records of contacts, acknowledgements and research are up-to-date in database and file systems.
- Expand planned giving program. Position involves knowledge of bequests, annuities, trusts, and other life income gifts; working with financial advisors; and marketing the program.
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Louisville Regional Board to raise awareness and secure funds from the greater Louisville area.
- Support the Commonwealth Fund Board of Directors in major gift solicitations and other board initiatives.
- Plan and manage major donor fundraising and cultivation events around the state, including sponsorship solicitations.
- Refine major gift donor benefits and work with KET staff to ensure appropriate donor recognition on all platforms; assist with on-air traffic processes as needed.
- Assist with marketing materials to reinforce KETís mission and impact to potential funders.
- Be responsible for strategic planning as well as tracking and meeting monthly revenue goals and expense budgets.
- Collaborate with entire Fund team to move donors through the giving pipeline from entry-level gifts through mid-level to major then transformational gifts.
- Working closely with KET staff, help reinforce a culture of philanthropy to advance the common goals of the Fund and KET.
- Involve and manage volunteers and interns as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Meet annual financial goals
- Meet specified number of contacts, statewide visits, and solicitations
- Maintain up-to-date record of activity and research
- Work products are completed accurately and by deadline
- Maintain positive and collaborative working relationship with Commonwealth Fund and KET staff and boards
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated success in securing major gifts, grants, and/or media sponsorships
- Computer proficiency and database management skills
- Frequent statewide travel and extended work hours expected
- Primary job site: Lexington, Ky.
- Bachelor's degree plus a minimum of three years of experience in fundraising, sales, or a related field required.
Send cover letter, résumé, and writing samples to
- Employment & Recruiting
600 Cooper Dr.
Lexington, KY 40502
or Fax: (859) 258-7765
Position is open until filled.
KET is an equal opportunity employer.