Psychograss combines elements of bluegrass and folk with R&B and jazzalong with a sense of humor.
Airs ...No upcoming broadcasts. List all airdates.
The internationally famous, Grammy-winning group Psychograss brings its explosive musical skills and jazzgrass stylings to Jubilee in a performance recorded at the 1998 Master Musicians Festival in Somerset, KY.
Strongly influenced by jazz and classical music, the group includes fiddler Darol Anger, mandolin player Mike Marshall, bassist Todd Phillips, guitarist David Grier, and banjo player Tony Trischka. The list of honors and accolades for Psychograss is long, and the bands success owes much to what each member brings to the table:
- Anger was a founding member of the innovative David Grisman Quintet and the Turtle Island String Quartet.
- Marshall has toured and recorded with such artists as Jerry Douglas, Béla Fleck, Stephane Grappelli, Mark OConnor, and Tony Rice.
- Grier has won multiple awards for his guitar playing and is considered by most bluegrass aficionados to be the greatest flat-picker alive.
- Phillips, also an original member of the David Grisman Quintet, plays a major role in performing on and producing important new acoustic recordings.
- And Trischka, whos been called one of the greatest five-string banjo players ever, records both bluegrass and pop albums and has played in Broadway shows.