Download the 17-page (40K) Falls of the Ohio State Park Educator's Handbook (in .pdf format--open with Adobe Acrobat Reader).
It includes hands-on activities, background materials, a glossary, and bibliography.
Have your students follow this scavenger hunt as they watch the program.
- What was the name of the geological period in which the tropical sea covered this area?
- What fossil resembles something a bee might make?
- In the column of rock that Kenny showed us, which rocks were oldest--the ones toward the bottom or toward the top?
- What fossil animal closely resembled the Asiatic clam that Kenny showed us?
- What force of nature polished many of the rock ledges and actually carved out the Ohio River Valley?
- How was the natural arch created?
- What form of transportation did Native Americans use for river travel?
- Who was the explorer who started the first permanent English-speaking settlement on Corn Island?
- What famous artist painted pictures of the wildlife around the falls?
- What were the 58 sets of wood and metal dams along the Ohio River called?
- What was the name of the dam built in 1964?
- What was Dunkleosteus?
- What fossils did early explorers think were actually horns from buffalo?
- How tall were the glaciers that carved out the Ohio River Valley?
- What wading bird with red eyes do many bird watchers come to the falls to see?