Make It Up as You Go: Suggested Improv Scenes
- Youve come home at 3 oclock in the morning. You are standing at your front door desperate to go inside because you have to go to the bathroombadly. When you reach inside your pocket to get your keys, you discover that they are missing.
- Youre watching a horror movie on television. A very bloody murder scene is taking place. You want to watch because youre very involved in the movie, but the sight of blood always makes you sick.
- Youre on a strict diet. Youve set a goal to lose three pounds this week, and youve already lost two. You open the refrigerator and see one last slice of your mothers homemade cherry cheesecake. Youve never been able to resist your mothers cheesecake!
- Youre standing in front of a movie theaters box office about to buy a ticket when you discover that you cant pay the price of admission because you dont have enough money. The friends you were supposed to meet are already inside. Youd like to ask for the extra money that you need, but no one is around. Everybody is in the theaterand the movie started five minutes ago.
- Youre a teen just waking up at 10:30 in the morning. Your house is a mess because you threw a wild party last night. When you realize that its 10:30, you begin to panic. Your parents will be home from their vacation at about 11:00. If they see that youve had a party while they were away, youre dead!
- Youre a student whose 10-page research paper is due tomorrow morning. You turn on the switch of your electric typewriter only to discover that it is broken. No other typewriter is in your house, and its too late at night to try to borrow one from a friend.
- Youre in a car stopped at a red light when your engine stalls. You try to restart the car, but the engine just wont turn over. Youre blocking an intersection, and dozens of angry motorists are behind you waiting for you to move.
- Your grandmother has prepared a meal for you: her famous Hungarian goulash. The last time you ate this stuff, it made you so sick that you vomited. Your grandmother is in the next room, waiting for you to finish. You love your grandmother and dont want to hurt her feelings, but you fear a reaction similar to your previous experience with her goulash.
- Youre in your office working on a report that youve promised you would have ready for your boss by the end of the working day. Its close to quitting time, and youre far from finishing. Youve already given him an excuse why you couldnt have the report completed last week, and you fear that if you dont hand him the report within the next hour, you will be fired.
- Youve just hung up the phone after speaking with your daughter. She called to ask you to be careful not to dispose of the contents of a cup thats on your kitchen counter because her engagement ring is inside the cup soaking in some jewelry cleaning solution. You look on the counter and discover that the cup is not there! Youve already washed it out, but you dont recall seeing a ring inside the cup. You fear you may have dumped it down the drain.
- Youre a vice president of a large company. You just hung up the phone after speaking with the company president, who has directed you to fire one of your employees. What he doesnt know is that this employee is your best frienda friend who helped you get the position that you now hold! You hear someone knocking on your office door. When you look through the window, you see that its your friend.
- Yesterday you met someone to whom you were very much attracted in an art gallery. To make a good impression on this person, you told her (or him) that you were an accomplished artist yourself, even though you have never painted one brush stroke in your life. Youve just hung up your phone after speaking with this person. She (or he) will be at your apartment in ten minutes to look at your paintings.
- Youre in your bedroom trying to get some sleep, but it is uncomfortably warm, and your air conditioner is broken. You dont even own a fan.
- Youre a student sitting at a table in your schools cafeteria doing some homework, a composition for your English class. Its a very important assignment that your teacher will collect in class next period, which begins in five minutes. Just as you finish the paper, you pick up a glass of soda to take a sip, but you accidentally spill the soda all over the paper, making it completely unreadable.
- Youre in the woods hiking when you realize that you are completely lost. If you dont return to your campsite within the next few minutes, the rest of your party will be very concerned. Before you left, you were bragging about what a great woodsman you are.
- You hurt your ankle last night, but you didnt realize just how badly you hurt it until you woke up in pain this morning. Your ankle is swollen, and you can hardly walk. You have to report to your job as a letter carrier for the U.S. Postal Service in an hour. The job, of course, requires lots of walking. Youve already taken all of your sick leave days this year, and you fear that if you dont show up for work today, you will be fired.
- Youre placing a letter in a mailbox. As you drop it in, the clasp of your watch suddenly becomes unhooked, and your watch falls into the mailbox. The watch was given to you by your dearly departed grandfather; to you, it is priceless. You know that its a federal offense to tamper with a U.S. Postal Service mailbox, but you must get that watch!
- Youre in an open area of a park trying to fly a kite, but the wind has died down. Your brother will be meeting you shortly with his 5-year-old son, and you promised the child that youd have the kite flying high by the time he arrives.
- In ten minutes your dinner guests will arrive. Everything appears to be ready, but when you open the oven door to take out the roast, you see that it is completely raw. You forgot to turn on the oven!
- Your date will be picking you up at any moment, and youre running a bit late. Your hair is soaking wet because youve just washed it. You turn on your hair dryer and nothing happens: Its broken.