Web site: http://www.pbs.org/speak/
Episode description: MacNeil traces the history of Appalachian "hillbilly" English—which preserves ancient speech patterns brought by immigrants from the British Isles—and hears contemporary examples in North Carolina and Rabbit Hash, KY. Other examples of "country" talk include comedian Jeff Foxworthy, humorist Molly Ivins and fellow Texan Kinky Friedman, and driver and CB radio user Spanky the Trucker. In Louisiana and Texas, MacNeil hears a Cajun twist on the country accent and talks with modern-day cowboys about the Spanish influence on their lingo. [cc]
Rating: [TV-PG] (Parental Guidance Suggested)
Series Information: Do You Speak American?
No Upcoming Airdates.
- KET2: Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 3:00 am EST
- KET: Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 2:00 am EST
- KET2: Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET: Friday, October 21, 2005 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET: Monday, May 9, 2005 at 3:00 am EDT
First aired: Wednesday, January 5, 2005 (excluding any air dates prior to June 1999)
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/speak/