Episode description: I.D. Stamper, a master dulcimer builder and player from Letcher County, Ky., and John McCutcheon, a young musician, play together, swap tunes, discuss musical traditions, and demonstrate the difference between hammered and mountain-style dulcimer. And, a portrait of John Jacob Nile, the adding machine repairman who came to eastern Kentucky in 1909 and became a much-noted "arranger, expander, collector, recorder, and performer" of traditional Appalachian ballads. The film shows Niles in concert, at home, at work arranging his music, and explaining the historical place of balladry in American music.
Rating: [TV-G] (General Audience)
Series Information: Appalshop @ 40: Classics from the Collection
- KETKY: Tuesday, July 9 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY: Friday, July 12 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KETKY: Saturday, July 13 at 2:00 am EDT
- KETKY: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY: Friday, September 27, 2013 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KETKY: Saturday, September 28, 2013 at 2:00 am EDT
- KETKY: Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 2:00 am EDT
- KETKY: Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KETKY: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY: Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 2:00 am EST
- KETKY: Friday, February 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm EST
First aired: Thursday, March 10, 2011 (excluding any air dates prior to June 1999)
Price available upon request.
91 Madison St.
Whitesburg, KY 41858