Web site: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/
Examining the lives, works, and creative processes of our most outstanding cultural artists.
Harper Lee: Hey Boo #2504
Explore the phenomenon behind To Kill a Mockingbird and the mysterious life of its Pulitzer Prize-winning author, including why she never published again. The documentary reveals the context and history of the novel's Deep South setting and the social changes it inspired after publication.
- KET Tuesday, July 29 at 3:00 am EDT
With a prologue narrated by Yoko Ono, this film profiles John Lennon and Ono's years in New York City.
- KET Friday, August 15 at 3:00 am EDT
Dorothea Lange: Grab A Hunk of Lightning #2704
Known for her powerful images from the Great Depression, photographer Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother" remains emblematic of that period.
- KET Friday, August 29 at 9:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Saturday, August 30 at 2:00 am EDT
- KET Sunday, August 31 at 3:00 am EDT
- KET2 Monday, September 1 at 3:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, September 1 at 9:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, September 2 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, September 3 at 2:00 am EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, September 3 at 9:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Friday, September 5 at 3:00 pm EDT
Jeff Bridges: The Dude Abides #2308
Called "the most natural and least self-conscious screen actor that has ever lived," this 2010 Oscar-winning best actor embodies traits far beyond brilliance as an actor. Bridges is an exceptional musician, a photographer, an occasional vintner, and a storyteller.
- KET Monday, September 1 at 3:00 am EDT
Sister Rosetta Tharpe: The Godmother of Rock & Roll #2602
During the 1940s, 50s, and 60s, Sister Rosetta Tharpe introduced the spiritual passion of her gospel music into the secular world of popular rock 'n roll. This flamboyant African American gospel superstar was a natural born performer and rebel. She was a major influence on generations of black and white musicians including Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, and more.
- KET2 Saturday, September 6 at 3:00 am EDT
- KET2 Monday, September 8 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET Tuesday, September 16 at 3:00 am EDT
Plimpton! Starring George Plimpton As Himself #2702
The remarkable life of famed participatory journalist George Plimpton: writer, editor, amateur sportsman, actor, and friend to many.
- KET Sunday, September 7 at 2:30 am EDT
Carol Burnett: A Woman of Character #2008
A tribute to the entertainer who transformed herself into a one-woman army of comedic characters despite a difficult childhood.
- KET Saturday, September 20 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET Saturday, September 27 at 3:00 am EDT
Alice Walker: Beauty In Truth #2606
The life of writer/activist Alice Walker, the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for Literature is chronicled. Her story is told with poetry and lyricism, and includes interviews with Steven Spielberg, Danny Glover, Quincy Jones, and Walker herself.
- KET Tuesday, September 30 at 3:00 am EDT
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/
EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/education/index.html
Price available upon request.