Web site: www.appalshop.org
American Originals—Minnie Black's Gourd Band #102
"Minnie Black's Gourd Band," a 90-year-old woman made art from the gourds she grew and performed in a senior citizens' band. "Catfish: Man of the Woods," a fifth generation herb doctor, living near Glenwood, WV.
- KETKY Thursday, May 16 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, May 18 at 3:00 pm EDT
"Fast Food Women" is a film about women who are part of the nation's working poor. "Blue Grass/Black Market" shows the underground economy of marijuana cultivation.
- KETKY Sunday, May 19 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, May 23 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, June 1 at 3:00 pm EDT
Environment—On Our Land #103
"On Our Own Land" chronicles the citizens' fight to end strip mining without the landowner's consent in Kentucky. "Ready for Harvest: Clearcutting in the Southern Appalachians" documents a western North Carolina effort to change U.S. Forest Service policy.
- KETKY Saturday, May 25 at 3:00 pm EDT
Down-Home Artists #105
"Homemade Tales: Songs and Sayings of Florida Slone" celebrates a unique woman. "Morgan Sexton: Bull Creek Banjo Player" has been awarded a National Heritage Fellowship for his voice and banjo.
- KETKY Sunday, May 26 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, May 30 at 6:00 am EDT
"Hands On: A Year in an Eastern Kentucky Classroom" is a warm, funny look at education reform. "Belinda," is the portrait of an AIDS activist.
- KETKY Sunday, June 2 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, June 6 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, June 8 at 3:00 pm EDT
Old-Time Country Music #107
"Sunny Side of Life" tells the story of the Carter Family Fold in Hiltons, VA.
- KETKY Sunday, June 9 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, June 13 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, June 15 at 3:00 pm EDT
"Justice in the Coalfields" is a behind-the-scenes look at the communities affected by the 1989 Pittston coal strike in southwest Virginia.
- KETKY Sunday, June 16 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, June 20 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, June 22 at 3:00 pm EDT
A Place in the Country #201
Profiles of several small towns document the diversity of rural America, the complexity and depth of the challenges facing it, and the hard and effective work that rural community developers are doing to meet the challenges and provide opportunities. An Appalshop production hosted by Ray Suarez.
- KETKY Sunday, July 7 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, July 11 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, July 13 at 3:00 pm EDT
The Ralph Stanley Story #202
Explores Stanley's musical roots in the Clinch Mountains of Virginia, the early days of the Stanley Brothers, and Ralph's decision to continue on after the untimely death of brother Carter. Interviews with Stanley, former band members, and fellow musicians such as Patty Loveless and Dwight Yoakam are intercut with performance excerpts, including several with Larry Sparks and Ricky Skaggs at Skaggs' annual Hills of Home Bluegrass Festival.
- KETKY Sunday, July 14 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, July 18 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, July 20 at 3:00 pm EDT
Traces the remarkable evolution of shelters for battered women and gives voice to five women seeking protection in a rural West Virginia shelter. Working with advice and guidance from the shelter's counselors and staff, the women struggle to find safety, freedom, and justice for themselves and their children. Two founders of the shelter movement discuss its history, and Tillie Black Bear from the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota describes establishing the first shelter for women of color.
- KETKY Sunday, July 21 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, July 25 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, July 27 at 3:00 pm EDT
His Eye Is on the Sparrow/Girls' Hoops #204
His Eye Is on the Sparrow profiles Ethel Caffie-Austin, a daughter of the coalfields and West Virginia's "First Lady of Gospel Music." Girls' Hoops explores the history of girls' high school basketball in Kentucky, including its first heyday in the 1920s; the subsequent 42-year ban on statewide competition; its rebirth in the 1970s; and its development into the fiercely competitive, popular sport it has become today.
- KETKY Sunday, July 28 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Thursday, August 1 at 6:00 am EDT
- KETKY Saturday, August 3 at 3:00 pm EDT
Official web site: www.appalshop.org