Web site: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens
Each episode introduces new documentaries and dramas made by independent thinkers: filmmakers who are taking creative risks, calling their own shots and finding untold stories in unexpected places.
Young Lakota #1504
A proposed abortion clinic in a South Dakota Native American reservation causes a political storm.
- KET2 Sunday, December 1 at 4:00 am EST
Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines #1411
The comic book superheroine Wonder Woman and popular representations of powerful women are explored.
- KET2 Wednesday, December 4 at 4:00 am EST
- KET2 Sunday, December 8 at 3:00 am EST
Beauty Is Embarrassing #1406
Wayne White got his big break when he helped create the unhinged children's show Pee-Wee's Playhouse. This film chronicles the vaulted highs and the crushing lows of this Tennessean commercial artist as he struggles to find peace and balance between his work and his art.
- KET2 Monday, December 9 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET2 Wednesday, December 11 at 4:00 am EST
- KET Sunday, December 15 at 1:00 am EST
- KET2 Sunday, December 15 at 3:00 am EST
Playwright: From Page to Stage #1505
Two young playwrights - an African American from Miami's inner city and an Indian American from Cleveland - create a new language for the stage.
- KET2 Monday, December 16 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET2 Wednesday, December 18 at 4:00 am EST
- KET Sunday, December 22 at 1:00 am EST
- KET2 Sunday, December 22 at 4:00 am EST
Jiro Dreams of Sushi #1506
Eighty-five-year-old Jiro Ono, considered the world's greatest sushi chef, owns Sukiyabashi Jiro, a restaurant located in a Tokyo subway station. Despite its appearance, the restaurant has been awarded a three-star Michelin Guide rating.
- KET2 Monday, December 23 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET2 Thursday, December 26 at 4:00 am EST
- KET Sunday, December 29 at 1:30 am EST
- KET2 Sunday, December 29 at 2:00 am EST
How to Survive A Plague #1507
The story of two grassroots coalitions who fought to turn AIDS from a death sentence into a manageable condition.
- KET2 Monday, December 30 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET Sunday, January 5 at 1:00 am EST
- KET2 Sunday, January 5 at 2:00 am EST
The Invisible War #1416
One of America's most shameful and best kept secrets, the epidemic of rape within the U.S. military, is examined.
- KET2 Monday, January 6 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET2 Wednesday, January 8 at 4:00 am EST
- KET Sunday, January 12 at 1:30 am EST
- KET2 Sunday, January 12 at 3:00 am EST
At Berkeley #1508
This film explores major aspects of university life at The University of California at Berkeley.
- KET2 Monday, January 13 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET Sunday, January 19 at 1:00 am EST
Blood Brother #1509
The story of Rocky Braat, whose desire to find a family led him to an AIDS hostel in India.
- KET2 Monday, January 20 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET2 Thursday, January 23 at 4:00 am EST
- KET Sunday, January 26 at 2:00 am EST
- KET2 Sunday, January 26 at 2:00 am EST
The State of Arizona #1510
The complex realities behind Arizona's struggle with illegal immigration are explored.
- KET2 Monday, January 27 at 10:00 pm EST
- KET2 Wednesday, January 29 at 4:00 am EST
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens
Price available upon request.
Some films from the series are available from other sources; see notes for specific episodes.
(800) PLAY-PBS (752-9727)
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314