Web site: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens
Each episode introduces new documentaries and dramas made by independent thinkers: filmmakers who are taking creative risks, calling their own shots and finding untold stories in unexpected places.
Two Spirits #1225
Fred Martinez was one of the youngest hate-crime victims in modern history when he was brutally murdered at 16. This film explores the life and death of a boy, who was also a girl, and the essentially spiritual nature of gender.
- KET Sunday, June 16 at 12:30 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, June 16 at 4:00 am EDT
The Revolutionary Optimists #1417
Amlan Ganguly empowers children to become change agents in the slums of Kolkata India. This film follows Amlan and three of the children he works with on a journey through adolescence, as they challenge the idea that marginalization is written into their destiny.
- KET2 Monday, June 17 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, June 19 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET Sunday, June 23 at 1:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, June 23 at 3:00 am EDT
The Powerbroker: Whitney Young's Fight for Civil Rights #1408
Whitney M. Young Jr. was one of the most celebrated and controversial leaders of the civil rights era. This documentary follows his journey from segregated Kentucky to head of the National Urban League.
- KET Tuesday, August 27 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, August 28 at 3:00 am EDT
- KET2 Friday, August 30 at 2:00 am EDT
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens
Price available upon request.
Some films from the series are available from other sources; see notes for specific episodes.
(800) PLAY-PBS (752-9727)
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314