Web site: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens
Each episode introduces new documentaries and dramas made by independent thinkers: filmmakers who are taking creative risks, calling their own shots and finding untold stories in unexpected places.
More Than A Month #1315
Shukree Hassan Tilghman, a 29-year-old African-American filmmaker, is on a cross-country campaign to end Black History Month.
- KET2 Wednesday, March 5 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET2 Friday, March 7 at 2:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, March 9 at 3:00 am EDT
The Revolutionary Optimists #1417
Amlan Ganguly empowers children to become change agents in the slums of Kolkata India. This film follows Amlan and three of the children he works with on a journey through adolescence, as they challenge the idea that marginalization is written into their destiny.
- KET2 Wednesday, March 12 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, March 16 at 4:00 am EDT
Pushing the Elephant #1216
When civil war came to Rose's Congolese village, her harrowing experience included the nighttime arrest of her entire family, the execution of her husband, and grim negotiations with guards which lead to her separation from her five-year-old daughter, Nangabire. More than a decade later, after eventually resettling in Phoenix, Ariz., with nine of her 10 children, she is reunited with Nangabire.
- KET2 Wednesday, March 19 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET Sunday, March 23 at 1:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, March 23 at 3:00 am EDT
All of Me: A Story of Love, Loss, and Last Resorts #1513
Weight-loss surgery affects the health, friendship, and happiness of morbidly obese female friends.
- KET2 Monday, March 24 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, March 26 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET Sunday, March 30 at 1:30 am EDT
A varsity basketball team struggles to compete in a community beset by a crippled economy.
- KET2 Monday, March 31 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, April 2 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, April 6 at 3:00 am EDT
Brothers Hypnotic #1515
The Chicago-based Hypnotic Brass Ensemble consists of eight sons of jazz trumpeter Phil Cohran.
- KET2 Monday, April 7 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, April 9 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET Sunday, April 13 at 2:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, April 13 at 3:00 am EDT
The Trials of Muhammad Ali #1516
This film covers Muhammad Ali's toughest bout: his battle to overturn the five-year prison sentence he received for refusing U.S. military service. It explores Ali's exile years when he was banned from boxing and found himself in the crosshairs of conflicts concerning race, religion, and wartime dissent.
- KET Monday, April 14 at 9:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, April 15 at 8:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, April 16 at 4:30 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, April 16 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Thursday, April 17 at 2:30 pm EDT
- KETKY Saturday, April 19 at 10:30 pm EDT
- KET Sunday, April 20 at 1:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, April 20 at 2:00 am EDT
Muscle Shoals #1517
Muscle Shoals, Alabama is the unlikely breeding ground for some of America's most creative music.
- KET Monday, April 21 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, April 23 at 4:00 am EDT
- KET Sunday, April 27 at 1:00 am EDT
- KET2 Sunday, April 27 at 3:00 am EDT
Revenge of the Electric Car #1319
Follow the race among major car-makers to make and market electric cars.
- KET2 Monday, April 28 at 10:00 pm EDT
- KET2 Wednesday, April 30 at 4:00 am EDT
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens
Price available upon request.
Some films from the series are available from other sources; see notes for specific episodes.
(800) PLAY-PBS (752-9727)
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314