This series examines issues facing Appalachia and features notable guests from the region. Acclaimed Appalachian author Silas House, interim director of the Loyal Jones Appalachian Center at Berea College hosts.
Pat Banks #109
Artist Pat Banks, director of Kentucky RiverKeepers, talks about her artistry and passion for preserving and protecting waterways.
- KETKY Monday, March 3 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, March 5 at 7:30 pm EDT
Silas House #101
National best-selling novelist Silas House talks about growing up in eastern Kentucky, the changes he's seen, the inspiration for his novels, and his passion for preserving Appalachia's hills and hollows. House is the National Endowment for the Humanities chair in Appalachian Studies at Berea College where he teaches Appalachian literature. A Berea College production.
- KETKY Monday, March 10 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, March 12 at 7:30 pm EDT
- KETKY Monday, March 31 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, April 2 at 7:30 pm EDT
Caroline Herring #202
Singer/songwriter Caroline Herring talks about her career and her influences. The musically understated, psychologically intense songs of this Atlanta-based Mississippi native ponder the eternal verities while probing the complex nature of contemporary existence.
- KETKY Monday, March 17 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, March 19 at 7:30 pm EDT
Dr. William Turner #102
Sociologist Dr. William Turner, a distinguished professor of Appalachian Studies and regional ambassador at Berea College, examines the experiences of African Americans in Appalachia. A Berea College production.
- KETKY Monday, March 24 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, March 26 at 7:30 pm EDT
- KETKY Monday, April 7 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, April 9 at 7:30 pm EDT
Erik Reece #106
Kentucky author Erik Reece discusses his book, An American Gospel: On Family, History, and the Kingdom of God.
- KETKY Monday, April 14 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, April 23 at 7:30 pm EDT
Billy Edd Wheeler and 'Mr. Appalachia' Loyal Jones #105
Award-winning songwriter Billy Edd Wheeler and Loyal 'Mr. Appalachia' Jones reminisce about their student days at Berea College and their work after graduation.
- KETKY Wednesday, April 16 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, April 30 at 3:00 am EDT
Jonathan Burgess #107
Irish playwright Jonathan Burgess discusses connections between Appalachia and Northern Ireland and the influence Ulster-Scots culture has had on Appalachia.
- KETKY Monday, April 21 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, April 30 at 7:30 pm EDT
Ben Sollee #108
Kentucky musician Ben Sollee discusses his own musical journey and his concern for the people and the environment of Appalachian Kentucky and beyond.
- KETKY Monday, April 28 at 9:00 am EDT