This series examines issues facing Appalachia and features notable guests from the region. Acclaimed Appalachian author Silas House, interim director of the Loyal Jones Appalachian Center at Berea College hosts.
Jonathan Burgess #107
Irish playwright Jonathan Burgess discusses connections between Appalachia and Northern Ireland and the influence Ulster-Scots culture has had on Appalachia.
- KETKY Monday, July 7 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, July 9 at 7:30 pm EDT
Ben Sollee #108
Kentucky musician Ben Sollee discusses his own musical journey and his concern for the people and the environment of Appalachian Kentucky and beyond.
- KETKY Monday, July 14 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, July 16 at 7:30 pm EDT
Pat Banks #109
Artist Pat Banks, director of Kentucky RiverKeepers, talks about her artistry and passion for preserving and protecting waterways.
- KETKY Monday, July 21 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, July 23 at 7:30 pm EDT
Caroline Herring #202
Singer/songwriter Caroline Herring talks about her career and her influences. The musically understated, psychologically intense songs of this Atlanta-based Mississippi native ponder the eternal verities while probing the complex nature of contemporary existence.
- KETKY Monday, July 28 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, July 30 at 7:30 pm EDT
Silas House #101
National best-selling novelist Silas House talks about growing up in eastern Kentucky, the changes he's seen, the inspiration for his novels, and his passion for preserving Appalachia's hills and hollows. House is the National Endowment for the Humanities chair in Appalachian Studies at Berea College where he teaches Appalachian literature. A Berea College production.
- KETKY Monday, August 4 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, August 6 at 7:30 pm EDT
Dr. William Turner #102
Sociologist Dr. William Turner, a distinguished professor of Appalachian Studies and regional ambassador at Berea College, examines the experiences of African Americans in Appalachia. A Berea College production.
- KETKY Monday, August 11 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, August 13 at 7:30 pm EDT
Billy Edd Wheeler and 'Mr. Appalachia' Loyal Jones #105
Award-winning songwriter Billy Edd Wheeler and Loyal 'Mr. Appalachia' Jones reminisce about their student days at Berea College and their work after graduation.
- KETKY Monday, August 18 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, August 20 at 7:00 pm EDT
Erik Reece #106
Kentucky author Erik Reece discusses his book, An American Gospel: On Family, History, and the Kingdom of God.
- KETKY Monday, August 25 at 9:00 am EDT
- KETKY Wednesday, August 27 at 7:30 pm EDT