This series explores a variety of traditional musicians performing music ranging from old-time banjo and fiddle tunes and mountain ballads, to bluegrass and more contemporary music from the bluegrass state. A Jeffrey Hill/Morehead State University production.
John Haywood #101
Floyd County native, visual artist, and master banjo player John Haywood performs. John is part of the band Rich and the Po' Folk and the adventurous group the Travelin' Snakes who are featured on the MTV film The Wild and Wonderful Whites. He also performs solo at festivals and in concert around the U.S.
- KETKY Sunday, September 7 at 5:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, September 8 at 10:00 pm EDT
John Harrod and Tona Barkley #102
Owen County musicians John Harrod and Tona Barkley perform music influenced by forgotten Kentucky artists like African American fiddler Bill Livers and Lily May Ledford, who recorded and performed with the group Coon Creek Girls.
- KETKY Sunday, September 14 at 5:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, September 15 at 10:00 pm EDT
Sarah Wood #103
Accomplished banjo player and ballad singer, Sarah Wood, one of Kentucky's young starlets in traditional music circles, performs her traditional music. Sarah grew up in Flatwoods, Kentucky and currently resides in Maysville.
- KETKY Sunday, September 21 at 5:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, September 22 at 10:00 pm EDT
Mike Havens and Blue Mountain Grass #104
Mike Havens can sing a great old Flatt and Scruggs tune with the best of them but he is well known in bluegrass circles for his original material. He performs with his band Blue Grass Mountain.
- KETKY Sunday, September 28 at 5:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, September 29 at 10:00 pm EDT
Don and Carmen Rogers #105
Musicians Don and Carmen Rogers hail from Flat Bottom in Bath County. They come from strong musical roots and are passing the musical traditions down to their own duaghters. They perform traditional and original selections.
- KETKY Sunday, October 5 at 5:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, October 6 at 10:00 pm EDT
Brett Ratliff #106
Musician Brett Ratliff grew up in the historic coal camps of Van Lear, Kentucky, in Johnson County. His music echoes with an exquisite reverberation that's been a part of Kentucky culture for generations.
- KETKY Sunday, October 12 at 5:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, October 13 at 10:00 pm EDT
Jamie and Jesse Wells #107
Jamie Wells is recognized as one of the finest Kentucky fiddlers today as well as one of the few that learned old-time fiddling from the last generation of great Kentucky fiddlers. He performs with special guest Jesse Wells.
- KETKY Sunday, October 19 at 5:00 am EDT
- KETKY Monday, October 20 at 10:00 pm EDT
John P. Rodgers #108
John P. Rogers, a young Carter County musician, is a talented multi-instrumentalist who has studied old-time music of his region.
- KETKY Sunday, October 26 at 5:00 am EST
- KETKY Monday, October 27 at 10:00 pm EST
Nikkos Pappas and Seth Folsom #109
Nikos Pappas from Lexington, Kentucky, is a champion fiddler having taken home multiple awards. He performs with Seth Folsom from Louisville, a musician and world-class banjo maker.
- KETKY Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 5:00 am EST
- KETKY Monday, November 3, 2014 at 10:00 pm EST
Karly Dawn Higgins #110
Rowan County's Karly Dawn Higgins made her start in traditional music with the all-female bluegrass band Hazel Holler. She fronts her own country group, Karly Dawn and Kinfolk, and can be seen performing with Sarah Wood as Karly Dawn and Little Sarie.
- KETKY Sunday, November 9, 2014 at 5:00 am EST
- KETKY Monday, November 10, 2014 at 10:00 pm EST
Rich and the Po' Folk #111
Letcher County's Rich and the Po' Folks was formed by a group of friends that shared a love for the traditional mountain music of East Kentucky and Southwest Virginia. Their music is drawn from Appalachian fiddlers, banjo players, singers, and songwriters.
- KETKY Sunday, November 16, 2014 at 5:00 am EST
- KETKY Monday, November 17, 2014 at 10:00 pm EST
Adkins and O'Quinn #112
Pike County's Adkins & O'Quinn compose new songs and instrumental tunes in their bluegrass style. Members of the group have played and toured with the Tommy Webb Band, Don Rigsby and Midnight Call, Junior Blankenship, and Hazel Holler.
- KETKY Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 5:00 am EST
- KETKY Monday, November 24, 2014 at 10:00 pm EST
Kentucky Wild Horse #113
Owen County's Kentucky Wild Horse takes its name from an old east Kentucky fiddle tune played by Wolfe County fiddler Darley Fulks, who possessed a vast repertoire of pre-Civil War tunes. The band's love and inspiration is Kentucky music from the 19th century through the present, especially its fiddle and banjo traditions.
- KETKY Sunday, November 30, 2014 at 5:00 am EST
- KETKY Monday, December 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm EST