Web site: http://www.ricksteves.com
This series offers a fresh perspective on the best travel advice, including where to stay, what to see and how to get around in Europe. Rick Steves shares his extensive knowledge of European history, art, and culture.
England's Bath and York #401
Rick explores Roman hot springs, cruises quiet canals, marvels at England's finest Gothic church, and gets a surprising dose of Viking history while enjoying some urban delights.
- KET2 Tuesday, December 10 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, December 28 at 2:30 pm EST
Galicia and the Camino de Santiago #611
Rick follows the trail pilgrims have trod for centuries, from the French border to Santiago de Compostela in the northwest corner of Spain. Along the way, he stops off in Pamplona to run with the bulls, and dives into the unique Celtic culture of Galicia - where Riverdance meets flamenco.
- KET Saturday, December 14 at 2:30 pm EST
North Wales: Feisty and Poetic #402
Rick rides a steam train up a mountain, learns some Welsh, follows a miner deep into a slate mine, herds sheep with a very clever dog, and makes a pop pilgrimage to the Beatles' Liverpool.
- KET2 Tuesday, December 17 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, January 4 at 2:30 pm EST
Basque Country #612
The homeland of the proud and resilient Basque people is split between France and Spain. From his San Sebastian home base, Rick tours the ancient Basque capital of Gernika, the dazzling Guggenheim Modern in Bilbao, and then crosses into France for more Basque Country charms. From yummy tapa bars to lightning-fast jai alai games, Rick experiences Basque culture at its most vivid.
- KET Saturday, December 21 at 2:30 pm EST
Rick explores Edinburgh Castle, peeks at the new Scottish Parliament, dabbles in the local literature, sips a little Scotch, gets wrapped up in a kilt, and "stows away" on Her Majesty's yacht Britannia.
- KET2 Tuesday, December 24 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, January 11 at 2:30 pm EST
Naples and Pompeii #404
Back-street fish markets, fast-moving Vespas, pizza made and served in the town where it was invented, a climb up Mount Vesuvius, and the amazing ruins of Pompeii.
- KET2 Tuesday, December 31 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, January 18 at 2:30 pm EST
Italy's Amalfi Coast #405
The trendy resort of Positano, the limoncello charms of Sorrento, ancient Greek temples at Paestum, and the iridescent Blue Grotto hidden beneath the enchanting isle of Capri.
- KET2 Tuesday, January 7 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, January 25 at 2:30 pm EST
Milan and Lake Como #406
Milan has Italy's highest fashion, fanciest delis, grandest cemetery, and greatest opera house—not to mention Leonardo's The Last Supper. Leaving the city, Rick cruises along Lake Como to the lakeside village of Varenna, where Italy meets the Alps.
- KET2 Tuesday, January 14 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, February 1 at 2:30 pm EST
Tuscany's Dolce Vita #407
The small towns and rural charms of Tuscany provide a healthy dose of the "sweet life" as Rick hunts for truffles in an oak forest, nibbles through an artichoke festival, shares a farmhouse feast, and rides in a classic convertible through the cypress groves of Mona Lisa's backyard.
- KET2 Tuesday, January 21 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, February 8 at 2:30 pm EST
Italy's Great Hill Towns #408
Rick tours towns sitting on lofty perches that seem to protect them from the modern world, exploring San Gimignano's medieval towers, Cortona's charming lanes, Orvieto's papal intrigue, and Civita di Bagnoregio's cliff-hanging vistas.
- KET2 Tuesday, January 28 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, February 15 at 2:30 pm EST
While tiptoeing through the palace of Maria Theresa in Europe's classiest capital, Rick is dazzled by the Hapsburg crown jewels. After a picnic on the Danube, he nibbles strudel in an Old World café, blushes at slinky Art Nouveau, and waltzes to the three-four beat of Johann Strauss.
- KET2 Tuesday, February 4 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, February 22 at 2:30 pm EST
Salzburg and Surroundings #410
Birthplace of Mozart and home to a multitude of Sound of Music fantasies, Salzburg is a Baroque jewel of a town and a springboard for alpine fun—from thrilling summer bobsledding to idyllic boat rides in the Salzkammergut lake district.
- KET2 Tuesday, February 11 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, March 1 at 2:30 pm EST
Rick Steves' Europe: The Making Of #411
Rick and his crew host a behind-the-scenes look at how they produce their travel series. While scampering through Milan and around Lake Como, they demonstrate their creative process while dealing with the inevitable challenges and surprises.
- KET2 Tuesday, February 18 at 7:00 pm EST
- KET Saturday, March 8 at 2:30 pm EST
Rome: Ancient Glory #701
Focusing on the grandeur of classical Rome, Rick visits the Colosseum, the Pantheon, and the empire's exquisite art. He bicycles the Appian Way and marvels at Roman engineering.
- KET2 Tuesday, February 25 at 7:00 pm EST
Official web site: http://www.ricksteves.com
VIDEO OR DVD:
Price available upon request.
Small World Productions Inc.
P.O. Box 28369
Seattle, WA 98118-8369