Web site: http://www.atasteofhistory.com/
A cooking series that explores America's culinary beginnings from the Birthplace of American Cuisine. Chef Walter Staib hosts.
Original Americans #509
Chef Staib prepares cornmeal fried catfish, stuffed squash, maple baked beans, and corn and cranberry pancakes.
- KET2 Monday, March 3 at 3:00 pm EDT
Under The Vine and Figtree #510
To celebrate our pluralism, Chef Staib prepares calf brains with butter and capers and beef royale.
- KET2 Monday, March 10 at 3:00 pm EDT
A Capital Design #511
Chef Staib honors French architect Pierre L'Enfant by preparing liver dumplings, veal tongue fricassee, sauteed heirloom carrots, and chocolate mousse cake.
- KET2 Monday, March 17 at 3:00 pm EDT
Bartram's Gardens: A Revolution In Gardening #303
Recipes include fried Lafayette fish, curried tofu with shrimp, and turbot and braised romaine.
- KET Saturday, March 22 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, April 21 at 3:00 pm EDT
Original Sushi #512
Kobe Japan is the backdrop for the secrets of sushi-making and demystifying the most prized and pampered beef in the world, Kobe Beef.
- KET2 Monday, March 24 at 3:00 pm EDT
Rye Coffee #304
Discover why Rye Coffee became a popular drink in America after President Jefferson and Congress imposed a foreign trade embargo in 1807. Recipes include: Madeira onion soup, Periwinkles (sea snails), beef tongue with caper sauce, and Pennsylvania Dutch dumplings.
- KET Saturday, March 29 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, April 28 at 3:00 pm EDT
Revolutionary Caribbean #513
The island of Turks and Caicos is Chef Staib's muse as he prepares conch chowder and cod fish cakes.
- KET2 Monday, March 31 at 3:00 pm EDT
Dolley & James Madison - Entertaining at Montpelier, Part 1 #305
Dolley Madison was the toast of Washington, hosting her famous "squeeze" parties at the White House first for Thomas Jefferson, and then for her husband, James. Recipes include: artichokes, veal kidney dijonnaise, Hoppin' John, and cornmeal fried catfish.
- KET Saturday, April 5 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, May 5 at 3:00 pm EDT
The Washingtons at Mount Vernon, Part 1 #301
Chef Walter Staib prepares some of Washington's favorite dishes such as roasted beef marrow, baked stuffed sturgeon, and roasted root vegetables with citrus vinaigrette.
- KET2 Monday, April 7 at 3:00 pm EDT
Dolley & James Madison - Entertaining at Montpelier, Part 2 #306
Chef Walter learns more about how the Madison's dined and entertained at their beautiful home. Recipes include: Virginia ham and oysters, roast pheasant with cornmeal stuffing, and peas a la Francaise.
- KET Saturday, April 12 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, May 12 at 3:00 pm EDT
The Washingtons at Mount Vernon, Part 2 #302
Pickled Herring Bonne Femme, roasted stuffed grouse, braised sunchokes, and sweet potato biscuits are prepared.
- KET2 Monday, April 14 at 3:00 pm EDT
Philadelphia Falls #307
Chef Walter prepares potato leek soup, roasted leg of lamb, and cardoon au fromage at The Cliveden Estate.
- KET Saturday, April 19 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, May 19 at 3:00 pm EDT
Continental Congress & Constitutional Convention #308
Join Chef Walter as he tours Carpenters' Hall in Philadelphia, home to the first Continental Congress and Benjamin Franklin's library. Chef Walter prepares fried calves feet with curried remoulade along with beef olives, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.
- KET Saturday, April 26 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, May 26 at 3:00 pm EDT
Weekend Warriors #309
Visit the battlefields, mess tents, and riverside encampments for first-hand accounts by reenactors. Chef Walter is busy keeping the fire going in John and William Bartram's kitchen as he prepares mushroom toast, venison stew, bread dumplings, and fried celery.
- KET Saturday, May 3 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, June 2 at 3:00 pm EDT
Jamaica - The Market Basket #310
Chef Walter goes to Jamaica - the market basket of Colonial America. He prepares classic Jamaican dishes, such as Mannish Water (made from goat's head), Akee and saltfish, curried goat, and festival - a cornmeal fritter.
- KET Saturday, May 10 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, June 9, 2014 at 3:00 pm EDT
Birds of America - John James Audubon #311
Join Chef Walter as he tours artist/illustrator John James Audubon's farm and bird sanctuary near Valley Forge. He prepares a very unusual poultry recipe, stuffed cock's comb. He also makes chicken curry, "the Indian Way," from Hannah Glasse's 1745 cookbook, along with almond rice pilaf.
- KET Saturday, May 17 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, June 16, 2014 at 3:00 pm EDT
Nothing Grows On Exuma #312
Chef Walter introduces the recipes of Exuma: conch salad, conch fritters, fish fry, and a guava duff.
- KET Saturday, May 24 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, June 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm EDT
The First Three Seasons #313
The story of America's founding through excerpts from the first 38 episodes of the series. Chef Walter shows highlights from the very memorable dishes he has prepared so far in three seasons of the series.
- KET Saturday, May 31 at 4:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, June 30, 2014 at 3:00 pm EDT
Official web site: http://www.atasteofhistory.com/