Web site: http://www.atasteofhistory.com/
A cooking series that explores America's culinary beginnings from the Birthplace of American Cuisine. Chef Walter Staib hosts.
Chili Peppers: Fruit of New Mexico #505
Chef Staib visits New Mexico for the chili pepper harvest and makes short ribs, red polenta, and wild boar chile.
- KET Saturday, December 14 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, February 3 at 3:00 pm EST
King of Prussia #506
Chef Staib prepares authentic German favorites, Konigsberger Klopse meatballs in caper sauce, Eisbein pork shanks, and apple strudel.
- KET Saturday, December 21 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, February 10 at 3:00 pm EST
Battle of Nassau #507
Chef Staib prepares boiled fish, curried lobster and Johnny Cakes in the Bahamas.
- KET Saturday, December 28 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, February 17 at 3:00 pm EST
Trekking South Africa #508
Join Chef Staib as he prepares warthog kebobs and ostrich stew on an incredible journey to South Africa.
- KET Saturday, January 4 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, February 24 at 3:00 pm EST
Engineering A Revolution #501
Walter prepares Hungarian Goulash and cabbage potato stew with kielbasa in honor of Thaddeus Kosciuszko.
- KET2 Monday, January 6 at 3:00 pm EST
Original Americans #509
Chef Staib prepares cornmeal fried catfish, stuffed squash, maple baked beans, and corn and cranberry pancakes.
- KET Saturday, January 11 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, March 3 at 3:00 pm EST
Star Spangled Banner #502
In honor of our national anthem, Walter celebrates the Star Spangled Banner at Ft. McHenry by preparing eel and mussel chowder, smoke pheasant en croute, roasted veal shank, and bread pudding with black currants.
- KET2 Monday, January 13 at 3:00 pm EST
Under The Vine and Figtree #510
To celebrate our pluralism, Chef Staib prepares calf brains with butter and capers and beef royale.
- KET Saturday, January 18 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, March 10, 2014 at 3:00 pm EST
Let Freedom Ring #503
Walter pays tribute to the Liberty Bell with sauteed shad roe and coq au vin rouge.
- KET2 Monday, January 20 at 3:00 pm EST
A Capital Design #511
Chef Staib honors French architect Pierre L'Enfant by preparing liver dumplings, veal tongue fricassee, sauteed heirloom carrots, and chocolate mousse cake.
- KET Saturday, January 25 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, March 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm EST
El Camino Real #504
Chef Walter travels to New Mexico and recounts the incredible journey of migration to our early Southwest. He prepares authentic People of the Red Willow recipes of Atole, a blue corn porridge, and elk stew.
- KET2 Monday, January 27 at 3:00 pm EST
Original Sushi #512
Kobe Japan is the backdrop for the secrets of sushi-making and demystifying the most prized and pampered beef in the world, Kobe Beef.
- KET Saturday, February 1 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, March 24, 2014 at 3:00 pm EST
Revolutionary Caribbean #513
The island of Turks and Caicos is Chef Staib's muse as he prepares conch chowder and cod fish cakes.
- KET Saturday, February 8 at 4:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, March 31, 2014 at 3:00 pm EST
The Washingtons at Mount Vernon, Part 1 #301
When George Washington wasn't busy governing a fledgling nation, he enjoyed spending time at his family plantation, Mount Vernon. Tour the "Jewel of the Potomac" and join Chef Walter Staib in Washington's very own kitchen as he prepares some of Washington's favorite dishes such as roasted beef marrow, baked stuffed sturgeon, and roasted root vegetables with citrus vinaigrette.
- KET Saturday, February 15 at 4:30 pm EST
The Washingtons at Mount Vernon, Part 2 #302
Meet "Martha Washington" as she brings her years with George to life. Always a gracious hostess, "Martha" invites Chef Walter to tea. We also see the Washingtons' personal china and silverware from Mount Vernon. In the kitchen, Chef Walter's menu includes pickled herring Bonne Femme, roasted stuffed grouse, braised sunchokes and sweet potato biscuits.
- KET Saturday, February 22 at 4:30 pm EST
Official web site: http://www.atasteofhistory.com/