Web site: http://roughcutwoodworking.com
Furniture maker Tommy MacDonald travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms.
Standing Mirror #207
Paul Schurch demonstrates basic marquetry at his studios in Santa Barbara, California.
- KET Wednesday, July 23 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, August 2 at 1:00 pm EDT
Turned Floor Lamp #206
Tommy demonstrates the turning technique by using a lathe and how to turn cove and bead shapes.
- KET2 Saturday, July 26 at 1:00 pm EDT
Veneered Coffee Table with Metal Frame #208
Tommy builds the coffee table and teaches some basic veneering techniques. He is joined by fellow woodworker Laura Fuoco.
- KET Wednesday, July 30 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, August 9 at 1:00 pm EDT
Laminated Coat Rack #209
Tommy teaches basic geometric patterns using different species of wood by stack laminating. Studio artist David Ebner makes his famous Scallion Coat Rack - a project that teaches both lamination and turning techniques.
- KET Wednesday, August 6 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, August 16 at 1:00 pm EDT
Console Table/HDTV Stand #210
Tommy looks at the technique of bending wood for his console table/HDTV stand project. To get some inspiration, Tommy meets with the curator of the Brooklyn Museum.
- KET Wednesday, August 13 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, August 23 at 1:00 pm EDT
Sand Shaded Clock #211
Tommy takes a look at the art of sand shading, a technique dating back to the ancient Egyptians. He demonstrates how this art form can be uniquely applied to his sand shaded clock project. Tommy heads to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
- KET Wednesday, August 20 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, August 30 at 1:00 pm EDT
Simple Case Construction Book Case #212
Tommy discusses project design and explains how to do basic mortise and tenon joinery for a simple case construction bookcase project. He takes a road trip to the Furniture Divas exhibit at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, Massachusetts.
- KET Wednesday, August 27 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, September 6 at 1:00 pm EDT
Potting Station #213
The final project of the season is a potting station, perfect for any outdoor gardening space. To gather inspiration for the project, Tommy heads to the Massachusetts Horticultural Association in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
- KET Wednesday, September 3 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, September 13 at 1:00 pm EDT
Coopered Leg Table #301
Tommy creates a beautiful ambrosia maple Coopered Leg Table - perfect for a dining room or office.
- KET Wednesday, September 10 at 5:30 am EDT
Tommy makes a workbench with mortise and tenon joinery and a beautiful solid maple top.
- KET Wednesday, September 17 at 5:30 am EDT
Trestle Table #101
Tommy handpicks a piece of local New England black walnut to construct the table, demonstrating how to make mortise and tenon joints, spring joints for the table top, and bread board ends to prevent the wood from warping.
- KET2 Saturday, September 20 at 1:00 pm EDT
Barley Twist Lamp #303
Tommy tackles the difficult technique of off-set turning on a lathe when he makes a Barley Twist Lamp.
- KET Wednesday, September 24 at 5:30 am EDT
Shaker-Inspired Step Stool #102
This simple piece serves as the perfect introduction to woodworking, and throughout the program Tommy explores the technique of making dovetails.
- KET2 Saturday, September 27 at 1:00 pm EDT
Mitered Hall Table #304
Tommy makes a mitered hall table out of one giant slab of figured maple.
- KET Wednesday, October 1 at 5:30 am EDT
Wall Cabinet #103
Tommy travels to Boston's Old North Church to gain inspiration for his newest project. After this trip, he returns to the workshop to build a wall cabinet, which features detailed moldings such as a dentil, cove, and quarter round.
- KET2 Saturday, October 4 at 1:00 pm EDT
Dovetailed Toolbox #305
Tommy will demonstrate how to achieve the striking dovetail joinery found on his toolbox.
- KET Wednesday, October 8 at 5:30 am EDT
Official web site: http://roughcutwoodworking.com
Price available upon request.
(800) PLAY-PBS (752-9727)
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314