Web site: http://roughcutwoodworking.com
Furniture maker Tommy MacDonald travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms.
Laminated Coat Rack #209
Tommy teaches basic geometric patterns using different species of wood by stack laminating. Studio artist David Ebner makes his famous Scallion Coat Rack - a project that teaches both lamination and turning techniques.
- KET2 Saturday, August 16 at 1:00 pm EDT
Sand Shaded Clock #211
Tommy takes a look at the art of sand shading, a technique dating back to the ancient Egyptians. He demonstrates how this art form can be uniquely applied to his sand shaded clock project. Tommy heads to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
- KET Wednesday, August 20 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, August 30 at 1:00 pm EDT
Console Table/HDTV Stand #210
Tommy looks at the technique of bending wood for his console table/HDTV stand project. To get some inspiration, Tommy meets with the curator of the Brooklyn Museum.
- KET2 Saturday, August 23 at 1:00 pm EDT
Simple Case Construction Book Case #212
Tommy discusses project design and explains how to do basic mortise and tenon joinery for a simple case construction bookcase project. He takes a road trip to the Furniture Divas exhibit at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, Massachusetts.
- KET Wednesday, August 27 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, September 6 at 1:00 pm EDT
Potting Station #213
The final project of the season is a potting station, perfect for any outdoor gardening space. To gather inspiration for the project, Tommy heads to the Massachusetts Horticultural Association in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
- KET Wednesday, September 3 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, September 13 at 1:00 pm EDT
Coopered Leg Table #301
Tommy creates a beautiful ambrosia maple Coopered Leg Table - perfect for a dining room or office.
- KET Wednesday, September 10 at 5:30 am EDT
Tommy makes a workbench with mortise and tenon joinery and a beautiful solid maple top.
- KET Wednesday, September 17 at 5:30 am EDT
Trestle Table #101
Tommy handpicks a piece of local New England black walnut to construct the table, demonstrating how to make mortise and tenon joints, spring joints for the table top, and bread board ends to prevent the wood from warping.
- KET2 Saturday, September 20 at 1:00 pm EDT
Barley Twist Lamp #303
Tommy tackles the difficult technique of off-set turning on a lathe when he makes a Barley Twist Lamp.
- KET Wednesday, September 24 at 5:30 am EDT
Shaker-Inspired Step Stool #102
This simple piece serves as the perfect introduction to woodworking, and throughout the program Tommy explores the technique of making dovetails.
- KET2 Saturday, September 27 at 1:00 pm EDT
Mitered Hall Table #304
Tommy makes a mitered hall table out of one giant slab of figured maple.
- KET Wednesday, October 1 at 5:30 am EDT
Wall Cabinet #103
Tommy travels to Boston's Old North Church to gain inspiration for his newest project. After this trip, he returns to the workshop to build a wall cabinet, which features detailed moldings such as a dentil, cove, and quarter round.
- KET2 Saturday, October 4 at 1:00 pm EDT
Dovetailed Toolbox #305
Tommy will demonstrate how to achieve the striking dovetail joinery found on his toolbox.
- KET Wednesday, October 8 at 5:30 am EDT
Bent Lamination Chair #401
An amazing bent lamination chair and the International Contemporary Furniture Show are highlighted.
- KET2 Saturday, October 11 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KET Wednesday, October 15 at 5:30 am EDT
Pine Chest #402
A simple pine chest is based on a 17th century design. Tremont Nail in Massachusetts, one of the few steel manufacturers still making nails from scratch, is visited.
- KET2 Saturday, October 18 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KET Wednesday, October 22 at 5:30 am EDT
Memory Box #403
Boston Police Chief Ed David shares memories of the Boston Marathon bombings and makes a memory box.
- KET2 Saturday, October 25 at 1:00 pm EDT
- KET Wednesday, October 29 at 5:30 am EST
Glass Desk Lamp #404
An art glass table lamp with triple-mitered corners is made and a glass-making school is visited.
- KET2 Saturday, November 1 at 1:00 pm EST
- KET Wednesday, November 5 at 5:30 am EST
Federal Hall Table #405
Federal embellishments are showcased at the Pendleton House at the Rhode Island School of Design.
- KET2 Saturday, November 8 at 1:00 pm EST
- KET Wednesday, November 12 at 5:30 am EST
Rice Paper Divider #406
An elegant and versatile bass wood room divider and a shoji workshop in New York City are highlighted.
- KET2 Saturday, November 15 at 1:00 pm EST
- KET Wednesday, November 19 at 5:30 am EST
A frame and panel bookstand is built. Silas Kopf showcases his unique brand of marquetry.
- KET2 Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 1:00 pm EST
- KET Wednesday, November 26, 2014 at 5:30 am EST
Bird House #408
Three bird houses are built and bird-specific design is discussed.
- KET Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 5:30 am EST
Baseball Bat Bed #409
A baseball bat bed is perfect for any kids room. The Axis Bat Factory in Massachusetts is visited.
- KET Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 5:30 am EST
Chairs X 2 #410
A chair is built and then duplicated to make a set to highlight the advantages of mass production.
- KET Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 5:30 am EST
Pub Table #411
A draw leaf table and the secret that allows good leaves to appear and disappear are showcased.
- KET Wednesday, December 24, 2014 at 5:30 am EST
Kitchen Scraps #412
Kitchen items, including a rolling pin, pepper grinder, and ice cream scoop, are easily made.
- KET Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 5:30 am EST
Garden Bench #413
Tommy showcases the intricacies of making a simple garden bench really sparkle.
- KET Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 5:30 am EST
Official web site: http://roughcutwoodworking.com
Price available upon request.
(800) PLAY-PBS (752-9727)
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314