Web site: http://roughcutwoodworking.com
Furniture maker Tommy MacDonald travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms.
Federal Hall Table #405
Federal embellishments are showcased at the Pendleton House at the Rhode Island School of Design.
- KET2 Saturday, April 19 at 1:00 pm EDT
A frame and panel bookstand is built. Silas Kopf showcases his unique brand of marquetry.
- KET Wednesday, April 23 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, May 3 at 1:00 pm EDT
Rice Paper Divider #406
An elegant and versatile bass wood room divider and a shoji workshop in New York City are highlighted.
- KET2 Saturday, April 26 at 1:00 pm EDT
Bird House #408
Three bird houses are built and bird-specific design is discussed.
- KET Wednesday, April 30 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, May 10 at 1:00 pm EDT
Baseball Bat Bed #409
A baseball bat bed is perfect for any kids room. The Axis Bat Factory in Massachusetts is visited.
- KET Wednesday, May 7 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, May 17 at 1:00 pm EDT
Chairs X 2 #410
A chair is built and then duplicated to make a set to highlight the advantages of mass production.
- KET Wednesday, May 14 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, May 24 at 1:00 pm EDT
Pub Table #411
A draw leaf table and the secret that allows good leaves to appear and disappear are showcased.
- KET Wednesday, May 21 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, May 31 at 1:00 pm EDT
Kitchen Scraps #412
Kitchen items, including a rolling pin, pepper grinder, and ice cream scoop, are easily made.
- KET Wednesday, May 28 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, June 7 at 1:00 pm EDT
Garden Bench #413
Tommy showcases the intricacies of making a simple garden bench really sparkle.
- KET Wednesday, June 4 at 5:30 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, June 14 at 1:00 pm EDT
Greene and Greene-Inspired Dressing Mirror #201
Tommy tackles a Greene and Greene-Inspired Dressing Mirror. The details and joinery in the project including finger joints, cloud lifts, and drawer construction are explained.
- KET2 Saturday, June 21 at 1:00 pm EDT
Arts and Crafts-Style Chair #202
The chair's legs, arms, and back are made, mostly through standard mortise and tenon joinery.
- KET2 Saturday, June 28 at 1:00 pm EDT
Pie Crust Tray #203
Tommy and Eli Cleveland walk through the turning and carving techniques needed to make a traditional pie crust tray.
- KET2 Saturday, July 5 at 1:00 pm EDT
Serving Cart #204
Tommy makes a practical serving cart, essential for any kitchen, out of scrap tiger maple.
- KET2 Saturday, July 12 at 1:00 pm EDT
Drop-Leaf Table #205
This table features a beautiful Shaker-type style. The finger joints are fun to learn to make.
- KET2 Saturday, July 19 at 1:00 pm EDT
Turned Floor Lamp #206
Tommy demonstrates the turning technique by using a lathe and how to turn cove and bead shapes.
- KET2 Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Standing Mirror #207
Paul Schurch demonstrates basic marquetry at his studios in Santa Barbara, California.
- KET2 Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Veneered Coffee Table with Metal Frame #208
Tommy builds the coffee table and teaches some basic veneering techniques. He is joined by fellow woodworker Laura Fuoco.
- KET2 Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Laminated Coat Rack #209
Tommy teaches basic geometric patterns using different species of wood by stack laminating. Studio artist David Ebner makes his famous Scallion Coat Rack - a project that teaches both lamination and turning techniques.
- KET2 Saturday, August 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Console Table/HDTV Stand #210
Tommy looks at the technique of bending wood for his console table/HDTV stand project. To get some inspiration, Tommy meets with the curator of the Brooklyn Museum.
- KET2 Saturday, August 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Sand Shaded Clock #211
Tommy takes a look at the art of sand shading, a technique dating back to the ancient Egyptians. He demonstrates how this art form can be uniquely applied to his sand shaded clock project. Tommy heads to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
- KET2 Saturday, August 30, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Simple Case Construction Book Case #212
Tommy discusses project design and explains how to do basic mortise and tenon joinery for a simple case construction bookcase project. He takes a road trip to the Furniture Divas exhibit at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, Massachusetts.
- KET2 Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Potting Station #213
The final project of the season is a potting station, perfect for any outdoor gardening space. To gather inspiration for the project, Tommy heads to the Massachusetts Horticultural Association in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
- KET2 Saturday, September 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT
Official web site: http://roughcutwoodworking.com
Price available upon request.
(800) PLAY-PBS (752-9727)
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314