Web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
This series demonstrates traditional furniture making.
Try Square with Christopher Schwarz #3311
Chris Schwarz shows Roy how to measure up with an English try square based on the examples in the famous Benjamin Seaton tool chest.
- KET Wednesday, March 12 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, April 26 at 3:30 pm EDT
Dutch Tool Chest with Christopher Schwarz #3312
Learn to make the simple and useful Dutch tool chest with its characteristic 30-degree slanted lid.
- KET Wednesday, March 19 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, May 3 at 3:30 pm EDT
Sharpen That Saw! #3306
Using giant model rip and crosscut saws, Roy demonstrates how to correctly sharpen handsaws.
- KET2 Saturday, March 22 at 3:30 pm EDT
Big Ash Mallet! #3313
With ash head and hickory handle, Roy shows how to make a proper joiner's mallet for the ages.
- KET Wednesday, March 26 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET2 Saturday, May 10 at 3:30 pm EDT
Combination Planes #3307
Roy attempts to replace a chest of molding planes with one complex metal contraption.
- KET2 Saturday, March 29 at 3:30 pm EDT
Rise of the Machines! #3201
Roy gets caught up in up a bevy of century-old, foot-powered woodworking machines.
- KET Wednesday, April 2 at 5:00 am EDT
Joined Chest with Peter Follansbee #3308
The master joiner of Plimoth Plantation shows how to frame a small, mortised, and tenoned chest in the old English style.
- KET2 Saturday, April 5 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Eleven Grooved Box #3202
Grooves and splines make a tidy oak box, but can the joints be cut by just using hand tools?
- KET Wednesday, April 9 at 5:00 am EDT
Paneled Chest with Peter Follansbee #3309
A master joiner shows Roy how to make and fit the beveled panels and storage till into a framed chest from the Pilgrim era.
- KET2 Saturday, April 12 at 3:30 pm EDT
Table Joints Rule! #3203
You can't make a drop-leaf table without the rule joint. See the tools needed to cut it by hand.
- KET Wednesday, April 16 at 5:00 am EDT
Early Iron with Peter Ross #3310
Master blacksmith Peter Ross shows how to forge iron hinges and locks from the earliest days of the American experience.
- KET2 Saturday, April 19 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Anarchist's Tool Chest #3204
Chris Schwarz's anarchist's tool chest starts a back-to-basics revolution!
- KET Wednesday, April 23 at 5:00 am EDT
Two Screws for You! #3205
Chris Schwarz joins Roy Underhill to rediscover the enigmatic, wooden, two-screw vise.
- KET Wednesday, April 30 at 5:00 am EDT
Screw Cuttin' Lathe #3206
Roy uses an 1889 foot-powered lathe to cut perfect threads, cones, and tapers in iron and brass.
- KET Wednesday, May 7 at 5:00 am EDT
The Troublesome Triangle Stool #3207
Peter Follansbee and Roy Underhill tackle terrible turned tenons for the old triangular stool.
- KET Wednesday, May 14 at 5:00 am EDT
Wretched Ratchet Reading Rack #3208
With foot-powered lathes, Peter Follansbee turns this adjustable bookstand from walnut and maple.
- KET Wednesday, May 21 at 5:00 am EDT
Raising Panel-Zona #3209
Roy Underhill uses both complex planes and tricks with basic tools to raise the classic panel.
- KET Wednesday, May 28 at 5:00 am EDT
Carving The Camellia #3210
Woodcarver Mary May makes basswood flowers bloom. Get in the groove of high-relief carving with sharp gouges and good-grained wood!
- KET Wednesday, June 4 at 5:00 am EDT
Forging The Hold Fast #3211
Blacksmith Peter Ross shows how to forge historical versions of this powerful gripper.
- KET Wednesday, June 11 at 5:00 am EDT
The Enfield Cupboard #3212
Simple to construct and elegant in design, this cupboard is a standby in any room or shop.
- KET Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at 5:00 am EDT
The Shaker Bend #3213
From their furniture to their bentwood boxes, the Shakers may be our most modern artisans.
- KET Wednesday, June 25, 2014 at 5:00 am EDT
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
Price available upon request.
University of North Carolina Press
P.O. Box 2288
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2288