Web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
This series demonstrates traditional furniture making.
Early Iron with Peter Ross #3310
Master blacksmith Peter Ross shows how to forge iron hinges and locks from the earliest days of the American experience.
- KET2 Saturday, April 19 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Anarchist's Tool Chest #3204
Chris Schwarz's anarchist's tool chest starts a back-to-basics revolution!
- KET Wednesday, April 23 at 5:00 am EDT
Try Square with Christopher Schwarz #3311
Chris Schwarz shows Roy how to measure up with an English try square based on the examples in the famous Benjamin Seaton tool chest.
- KET2 Saturday, April 26 at 3:30 pm EDT
Two Screws for You! #3205
Chris Schwarz joins Roy Underhill to rediscover the enigmatic, wooden, two-screw vise.
- KET Wednesday, April 30 at 5:00 am EDT
Dutch Tool Chest with Christopher Schwarz #3312
Learn to make the simple and useful Dutch tool chest with its characteristic 30-degree slanted lid.
- KET2 Saturday, May 3 at 3:30 pm EDT
Screw Cuttin' Lathe #3206
Roy uses an 1889 foot-powered lathe to cut perfect threads, cones, and tapers in iron and brass.
- KET Wednesday, May 7 at 5:00 am EDT
Big Ash Mallet! #3313
With ash head and hickory handle, Roy shows how to make a proper joiner's mallet for the ages.
- KET2 Saturday, May 10 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Troublesome Triangle Stool #3207
Peter Follansbee and Roy Underhill tackle terrible turned tenons for the old triangular stool.
- KET Wednesday, May 14 at 5:00 am EDT
The Roubo Bookstand #3101
Learn how to make a bookstand from a single piece of walnut.
- KET2 Saturday, May 17 at 3:30 pm EDT
Wretched Ratchet Reading Rack #3208
With foot-powered lathes, Peter Follansbee turns this adjustable bookstand from walnut and maple.
- KET Wednesday, May 21 at 5:00 am EDT
As The Saw Turns #3102
Build a beautiful bow saw for cutting curves based on the pattern of a century-old example.
- KET2 Saturday, May 24 at 3:30 pm EDT
Raising Panel-Zona #3209
Roy Underhill uses both complex planes and tricks with basic tools to raise the classic panel.
- KET Wednesday, May 28 at 5:00 am EDT
Hurray for Hickory! #3103
This essential American wood has what it takes as we make wooden rakes and rounded reels from steam-bent stock.
- KET2 Saturday, May 31 at 3:30 pm EDT
Carving The Camellia #3210
Woodcarver Mary May makes basswood flowers bloom. Get in the groove of high-relief carving with sharp gouges and good-grained wood!
- KET Wednesday, June 4 at 5:00 am EDT
Painless Panel Doors #3104
The stiles and rails of the classic raised panel door are made, starting with simple sticks.
- KET2 Saturday, June 7 at 3:30 pm EDT
Forging The Hold Fast #3211
Blacksmith Peter Ross shows how to forge historical versions of this powerful gripper.
- KET Wednesday, June 11 at 5:00 am EDT
Hand Plane Essentials with Chris Schwarz #3105
Learn how to make gleaming surfaces, tight joints, and crisp moldings through perfect planing.
- KET2 Saturday, June 14 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Enfield Cupboard #3212
Simple to construct and elegant in design, this cupboard is a standby in any room or shop.
- KET Wednesday, June 18 at 5:00 am EDT
English Layout Square with Chris Schwarz #3106
Building this simple square with laps and bridles brings beauty and utility to your workbench.
- KET2 Saturday, June 21 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Shaker Bend #3213
From their furniture to their bentwood boxes, the Shakers may be our most modern artisans.
- KET Wednesday, June 25 at 5:00 am EDT
Elizabethan Joint Stool with Peter Follansbee #3107
The master joiner of Plimoth Plantation shows us how to make this traditional treat for the tired Tudor tush.
- KET2 Saturday, June 28 at 3:30 pm EDT
Carving Swedish Spoons with Peter Follansbee #3108
With axe and traditional hook knife, Peter shows us how to make our own spoons.
- KET2 Saturday, July 5 at 3:30 pm EDT
Inlaid Lettering with Steve Latta #3109
See how to make your name in holly wood by setting slender stringing into the slotted surface.
- KET2 Saturday, July 12 at 3:30 pm EDT
Hammer Veneering with Steve Latta #3110
Learn classic hammer veneering using the pull hammer to put the squeeze on fine finished furniture.
- KET2 Saturday, July 19 at 3:30 pm EDT
Iron Work for Timber Work #3111
How to make spike dogs and cant hooks for log holding and handling.
- KET2 Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm EDT
Offset Turning #3112
Turning ovals and offsets by measuring once and turning twice.
- KET2 Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 3:30 pm EDT
Simple Sash #3113
Windows in an old mill are restored.
- KET2 Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 3:30 pm EDT
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
Price available upon request.
University of North Carolina Press
P.O. Box 2288
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2288