Web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
This series demonstrates traditional furniture making.
Hammer Veneering with Steve Latta #3110
Learn classic hammer veneering using the pull hammer to put the squeeze on fine finished furniture.
- KET2 Saturday, July 19 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 3 at 5:00 am EDT
The Venerable Bead #3303
Roy Underhill demonstrates how to cut bead moldings with hand planes for corners that look sharp and last longer.
- KET2 Tuesday, July 22 at 3:00 pm EDT
Painless Panel Doors #3104
The stiles and rails of the classic raised panel door are made, starting with simple sticks.
- KET Wednesday, July 23 at 5:00 am EDT
Iron Work for Timber Work #3111
How to make spike dogs and cant hooks for log holding and handling.
- KET2 Saturday, July 26 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 10 at 5:00 am EDT
Carving Away with Mary May #3304
Classical carver Mary May provides a lesson on woodcarving and a proper rebuke for edge tool abuse!
- KET2 Tuesday, July 29 at 3:00 pm EDT
Hand Plane Essentials with Chris Schwarz #3105
Learn how to make gleaming surfaces, tight joints, and crisp moldings through perfect planing.
- KET Wednesday, July 30 at 5:00 am EDT
Offset Turning #3112
Turning ovals and offsets by measuring once and turning twice.
- KET2 Saturday, August 2 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 17 at 5:00 am EDT
Swinging Saw Vise #3305
Roy duplicates the beveled bridle joints and chamfered chops of an old saw-sharpening vise.
- KET2 Tuesday, August 5 at 3:00 pm EDT
English Layout Square with Chris Schwarz #3106
Building this simple square with laps and bridles brings beauty and utility to your workbench.
- KET Wednesday, August 6 at 5:00 am EDT
Simple Sash #3113
Windows in an old mill are restored.
- KET2 Saturday, August 9 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 24 at 5:00 am EDT
Sharpen That Saw! #3306
Using giant model rip and crosscut saws, Roy demonstrates how to correctly sharpen handsaws.
- KET2 Tuesday, August 12 at 3:00 pm EDT
Elizabethan Joint Stool with Peter Follansbee #3107
The master joiner of Plimoth Plantation shows us how to make this traditional treat for the tired Tudor tush.
- KET Wednesday, August 13 at 5:00 am EDT
Rise of the Machines! #3201
Roy gets caught up in up a bevy of century-old, foot-powered woodworking machines.
- KET2 Saturday, August 16 at 3:30 pm EDT
Combination Planes #3307
Roy attempts to replace a chest of molding planes with one complex metal contraption.
- KET2 Tuesday, August 19 at 3:00 pm EDT
Carving Swedish Spoons with Peter Follansbee #3108
With axe and traditional hook knife, Peter shows us how to make our own spoons.
- KET Wednesday, August 20 at 5:00 am EDT
The Eleven Grooved Box #3202
Grooves and splines make a tidy oak box, but can the joints be cut by just using hand tools?
- KET2 Saturday, August 23 at 3:30 pm EDT
Joined Chest with Peter Follansbee #3308
The master joiner of Plimoth Plantation shows how to frame a small, mortised, and tenoned chest in the old English style.
- KET2 Tuesday, August 26 at 3:00 pm EDT
Inlaid Lettering with Steve Latta #3109
See how to make your name in holly wood by setting slender stringing into the slotted surface.
- KET Wednesday, August 27 at 5:00 am EDT
Table Joints Rule! #3203
You can't make a drop-leaf table without the rule joint. See the tools needed to cut it by hand.
- KET2 Saturday, August 30 at 3:30 pm EDT
Paneled Chest with Peter Follansbee #3309
A master joiner shows Roy how to make and fit the beveled panels and storage till into a framed chest from the Pilgrim era.
- KET2 Tuesday, September 2 at 3:00 pm EDT
The Anarchist's Tool Chest #3204
Chris Schwarz's anarchist's tool chest starts a back-to-basics revolution!
- KET2 Saturday, September 6 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, September 8 at 6:00 pm EDT
Early Iron with Peter Ross #3310
Master blacksmith Peter Ross shows how to forge iron hinges and locks from the earliest days of the American experience.
- KET2 Tuesday, September 9 at 3:00 pm EDT
Two Screws for You! #3205
Chris Schwarz joins Roy Underhill to rediscover the enigmatic, wooden, two-screw vise.
- KET2 Saturday, September 13 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, September 15 at 6:00 pm EDT
Try Square with Christopher Schwarz #3311
Chris Schwarz shows Roy how to measure up with an English try square based on the examples in the famous Benjamin Seaton tool chest.
- KET2 Tuesday, September 16 at 3:00 pm EDT
Screw Cuttin' Lathe #3206
Roy uses an 1889 foot-powered lathe to cut perfect threads, cones, and tapers in iron and brass.
- KET2 Saturday, September 20 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, September 22 at 6:00 pm EDT
Dutch Tool Chest with Christopher Schwarz #3312
Learn to make the simple and useful Dutch tool chest with its characteristic 30-degree slanted lid.
- KET2 Tuesday, September 23 at 3:00 pm EDT
The Troublesome Triangle Stool #3207
Peter Follansbee and Roy Underhill tackle terrible turned tenons for the old triangular stool.
- KET2 Saturday, September 27 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, September 29 at 6:00 pm EDT
Big Ash Mallet! #3313
With ash head and hickory handle, Roy shows how to make a proper joiner's mallet for the ages.
- KET2 Tuesday, September 30 at 3:00 pm EDT
Wretched Ratchet Reading Rack #3208
With foot-powered lathes, Peter Follansbee turns this adjustable bookstand from walnut and maple.
- KET2 Saturday, October 4 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, October 6 at 6:00 pm EDT
Raising Panel-Zona #3209
Roy Underhill uses both complex planes and tricks with basic tools to raise the classic panel.
- KET2 Saturday, October 11 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, October 13 at 6:00 pm EDT
Carving The Camellia #3210
Woodcarver Mary May makes basswood flowers bloom. Get in the groove of high-relief carving with sharp gouges and good-grained wood!
- KET2 Saturday, October 18 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, October 20 at 6:00 pm EDT
Forging The Hold Fast #3211
Blacksmith Peter Ross shows how to forge historical versions of this powerful gripper.
- KET2 Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Monday, October 27, 2014 at 6:00 pm EST
The Enfield Cupboard #3212
Simple to construct and elegant in design, this cupboard is a standby in any room or shop.
- KET2 Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 3:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, November 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm EST
The Shaker Bend #3213
From their furniture to their bentwood boxes, the Shakers may be our most modern artisans.
- KET2 Saturday, November 8, 2014 at 3:30 pm EST
- KET2 Monday, November 10, 2014 at 6:00 pm EST
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
Price available upon request.
University of North Carolina Press
P.O. Box 2288
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2288