Web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
THE WOODWRIGHT'S SHOP demonstrates traditional furniture making.
Wretched Ratchet Reading Rack #3208
With foot-powered lathes, Peter Follansbee turns this adjustable bookstand from walnut and maple.
- KET Wednesday, May 22 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET Wednesday, August 21 at 5:00 am EDT
Elizabethan Joint Stool with Peter Follansbee #3107
The master joiner of Plimoth Plantation shows us how to make this traditional treat for the tired Tudor tush.
- KET2 Saturday, May 25 at 3:30 pm EDT
Raising Panel-Zona #3209
Roy Underhill uses both complex planes and tricks with basic tools to raise the classic panel.
- KET Wednesday, May 29 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 5:00 am EDT
Carving Swedish Spoons with Peter Follansbee #3108
With axe and traditional hook knife, Peter shows us how to make our own spoons.
- KET2 Saturday, June 1 at 3:30 pm EDT
Carving The Camellia #3210
Woodcarver Mary May makes basswood flowers bloom. Get in the groove of high-relief carving with sharp gouges and good-grained wood!
- KET Wednesday, June 5 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 5:00 am EDT
Inlaid Lettering with Steve Latta #3109
See how to make your name in holly wood by setting slender stringing into the slotted surface.
- KET2 Saturday, June 8 at 3:30 pm EDT
Forging The Hold Fast #3211
Blacksmith Peter Ross shows how to forge historical versions of this powerful gripper.
- KET Wednesday, June 12 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 5:00 am EDT
Hammer Veneering with Steve Latta #3110
Learn classic hammer veneering using the pull hammer to put the squeeze on fine finished furniture.
- KET2 Saturday, June 15 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Enfield Cupboard #3212
Simple to construct and elegant in design, this cupboard is a standby in any room or shop.
- KET Wednesday, June 19 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 5:00 am EDT
Iron Work for Timber Work #3111
How to make spike dogs and cant hooks for log holding and handling.
- KET2 Saturday, June 22 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Shaker Bend #3213
From their furniture to their bentwood boxes, the Shakers may be our most modern artisans.
- KET Wednesday, June 26 at 5:00 am EDT
- KET Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 5:00 am EDT
Offset Turning #3112
Turning ovals and offsets by measuring once and turning twice.
- KET2 Saturday, June 29 at 3:30 pm EDT
Rise of the Machines! #3201
Roy gets caught up in up a bevy of century-old, foot-powered woodworking machines.
- KET Wednesday, July 3 at 5:00 am EDT
Simple Sash #3113
Windows in an old mill are restored.
- KET2 Saturday, July 6 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Eleven Grooved Box #3202
Grooves and splines make a tidy oak box, but can the joints be cut by just using hand tools?
- KET Wednesday, July 10 at 5:00 am EDT
Case of the Corner Cupboard #3001
Long splined miters anyone? That's how you join the coffin-like case of this 18th-century corner cupboard. See how to make the special jigs to hand plane this crucial joint with precision and dignity.
- KET2 Saturday, July 13 at 3:30 pm EDT
Table Joints Rule! #3203
You can't make a drop-leaf table without the rule joint. See the tools needed to cut it by hand.
- KET Wednesday, July 17 at 5:00 am EDT
Making Marvelous Moldings #3002
You can make any complex molding you want with simple hand planes - just take it one curve at a time. Bill Anderson and Roy show how to flute your pilasters and carve your cornice for this comely corner cupboard.
- KET2 Saturday, July 20 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Anarchist's Tool Chest #3204
Chris Schwarz's anarchist's tool chest starts a back-to-basics revolution!
- KET Wednesday, July 24 at 5:00 am EDT
Mind Over Miter #3003
Learn all the angles and see how to carefully cut corners to master the miter box for fitting frames and fine furniture.
- KET2 Saturday, July 27 at 3:30 pm EDT
Two Screws for You! #3205
Chris Schwarz joins Roy Underhill to rediscover the enigmatic, wooden, two-screw vise.
- KET Wednesday, July 31 at 5:00 am EDT
The Till in the Tool Chest #3004
Delve into the drawers in search of the secret of an old tool chest. The quality of the tools shows that it belonged to a first-class joiner back in the early 1800s, but the dovetail joints break all the rules.
- KET2 Saturday, August 3 at 3:30 pm EDT
Screw Cuttin' Lathe #3206
Roy uses an 1889 foot-powered lathe to cut perfect threads, cones, and tapers in iron and brass.
- KET Wednesday, August 7 at 5:00 am EDT
Continuous Arm Rocking Chair (Part 1) #3005
Chairmaker Elia Bizzarri maks an elegant and comfortable rocking chair. We'll turn the legs and frame the seat in part one of this American classic.
- KET2 Saturday, August 10 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Troublesome Triangle Stool #3207
Peter Follansbee and Roy Underhill tackle terrible turned tenons for the old triangular stool.
- KET Wednesday, August 14 at 5:00 am EDT
Continuous Arm Rocking Chair (Part 2) #3006
We'll finish our rocking chair as we steam and bend the continuous arm's one-piece back. With its compound bend, this challenging chair is truly an American design innovation.
- KET2 Saturday, August 17 at 3:30 pm EDT
Wrote the Book of Sloyd? #3007
Sloyd, the late 19th-century Swedish system of learning woodworking, was intended to develop skilled, industrious and morally upstanding citizens. We'll give it a try, and hope it's not too late for us!
- KET2 Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Case for Books #3008
Say goodbye to cinderblocks and sagging shelves as you see how to cut the essential dado and sliding joints to build this better bookcase.
- KET2 Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Sawing Secrets #3009
Chris Schwarz, editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine, joins Roy to explore the three classes of English sawcuts. Chris reveals the devious French tenon cheat and even shows us how to saw without a saw.
- KET2 Saturday, September 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Tiny Tool Kit #3010
How can you stretch a basic kit of tools to build impressive casework? Chris Schwarz, editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine, shows how with the toolkit of young Thomas, hero of the 1839 book The Joiner and Cabinet Maker.
- KET2 Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Thomas Day, Cabinetmaker #3011
In the days of slavery, Thomas Day, a free black cabinetmaker in North Carolina, was one of the most respected artisans in the South. Look beneath the veneer on his furniture and discover his intriguing architectural work.
- KET2 Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Oak Field Gate #3012
Mortise and tenon joints frame this classic feature of the English countryside. It's a rustic woodworking challenge to balance both beauty and strength that will keep the gate swinging for decades.
- KET2 Saturday, September 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Field Gate Hinges #3013
Master blacksmith Peter Ross turns his hammer to forging iron hinges for the oak field gate. See how to shape and weld wrought iron for straps and pintles to make the gate swing true.
- KET2 Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Official web site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/
Price available upon request.
University of North Carolina Press
P.O. Box 2288
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2288