Web site: http://www.whyquiltsmatter.org/
This new documentary series focuses on why quilts are bigger than you think, seen through the lenses of history, art, and politics. For the quilter, collector or casual observer, the nine episodes take you behind the scenes and into new territory, exploring the centrality of the quilt in American culture and revealing the unsuspected size, breadth and depth of the quilt culture.
Quilts 101 - Antique and Contemporary Quilts #101
Learn what makes an antique quilt more valuable and why contemporary quilts are judged differently.
- KETKY Monday, September 8 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, September 9 at 9:30 am EDT
- KETKY Friday, September 12 at 6:00 am EDT
Quilts Bring History Alive #102
Explore the quilt's unique ability to preserve our own family histories and the history of America.
- KETKY Monday, September 15 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, September 16 at 9:30 am EDT
- KETKY Friday, September 19 at 6:01 am EDT
The Quilt Marketplace #103
Go behind the scenes in the quilt marketplace to meet its players and learn its unwritten rules.
- KETKY Monday, September 22 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, September 23 at 9:30 am EDT
- KETKY Friday, September 26 at 6:00 am EDT
What Is Art? #104
Host Shelly Zegart and crew explores "what is art?" and sheds light on the art vs. craft debate.
- KETKY Monday, September 29 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, September 30 at 9:30 am EDT
- KETKY Friday, October 3 at 6:00 am EDT
Gee's Bend: The Most Famous Quilts In America? #105
The journey of the quilts of Gees Bend from the clotheslines of the South to the exhibition walls of the country's greatest museums. Shelly explores the aesthetic and social appeal of these quilts - and quilters - as well as the controversies they engendered, and analyzes their unique place in quilt history.
- KETKY Monday, October 6 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, October 7 at 9:30 am EDT
- KETKY Friday, October 10 at 6:00 am EDT
How Quilts Have Been Viewed and Collected #106
Charts path of an exemplary quilt from maker to museum and explores the lure of quilts for a private collector.
- KETKY Monday, October 13 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, October 14 at 9:30 am EDT
- KETKY Friday, October 17 at 6:00 am EDT
Empowering Women One Quilt at a Time #107
The quilt's historical and current roles as an avenue of personal expression, a sly medium of social and political opinion, and a building block of financial security.
- KETKY Monday, October 20 at 7:00 pm EDT
- KETKY Tuesday, October 21 at 9:30 am EDT
- KETKY Friday, October 24 at 6:00 am EDT
Quilt Nation : 20,000,000 and Counting! #108
Go inside this unseen quilt world, meeting its participants; attending its events; and analyzing its businesses, periodicals, support services, and technological advancements.
- KETKY Monday, October 27, 2014 at 7:00 pm EST
- KETKY Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 9:30 am EST
- KETKY Friday, October 31, 2014 at 6:00 am EST
Quilt Scholarship: Romance and Reality #109
The history of quilt scholarship in America is more relevant-and far more interesting-than some might think. Today, the field has grown into a serious discipline generating material of interest - not just to the quilt world - but to a dozen other important disciplines from material culture to sociology.
- KETKY Monday, November 3, 2014 at 7:00 pm EST
- KETKY Tuesday, November 4, 2014 at 9:30 am EST
- KETKY Friday, November 7, 2014 at 6:00 am EST
Official web site: http://www.whyquiltsmatter.org/