Series is designed to teach English as a second language in the classroom or at a distance.
Breaking Away #115
Henry and his Caucasian girlfriend deal with negative reactions from their parents, and a laundromat opens next door to the café. Vocabulary: talking about likes and dislikes; cultural information: intercultural relationships.
- KET2 Tuesday, May 14 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Tuesday, August 13 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Bottom Line #116
Brashov tries to attract more business so he can impress the bank and qualify for a loan.
- KET2 Thursday, May 16 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Thursday, August 15 at 3:30 pm EDT
United We Stand #117
When their landlord refuses to make repairs, Rosa and the other tenants fight back. Henry makes a documentary for his journalism class. Vocabulary: reporting information; cultural information: aging in the U.S.
- KET2 Tuesday, May 21 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Opportunity Knocks #118
Jamal is offered an engineering job, and Brashov buys a jukebox for the café. Grammar: comparing things; cultural information: worker protection and benefits.
- KET2 Thursday, May 23 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
The People's Choice #119
Jess runs for city council. Jamal's cousin visits from Egypt and falls in love with Rosa. Cultural information: elections and government.
- KET2 Tuesday, May 28 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Outside Looking In #120
Rosa enters high society, and the landlord's son disrupts work at the café. Educational topics: giving advice, raising children.
- KET2 Thursday, May 30 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Walls and Bridges #121
Rosa comes to the aid of a student whose father wants her to quit school, while Brashov struggles with his citizenship exam. Vocabulary: asking for and offering help; cultural information: the citizenship process.
- KET2 Tuesday, June 4 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Helping Hands #122
The café employees help a homeless man get on his feet, and Jamal and his family take a trip. Vocabulary: asking for and giving permission; life skills: coping with financial pressures.
- KET2 Thursday, June 6 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
The Gift #123
Brashov is convinced that everyone has forgotten his birthday. Then someone from his past pays an unexpected visit. Vocabulary: making invitations.
- KET2 Tuesday, June 11 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
All's Well That Ends Well #124
Katherine's wedding day is a near disaster, and Henry is caught in a snowstorm. Vocabulary: talking about future events; cultural information: wedding customs.
- KET2 Thursday, June 13 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Comings and Goings #125
Henry pursues his plans to become a rock star, and Katherine's going-away party takes an unexpected turn. Vocabulary/grammar: talking about plans and possibilities.
- KET2 Tuesday, June 18 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Winds of Change #126
The café employees face difficult choices about their futures.
- KET2 Thursday, June 20 at 3:30 pm EDT
- KET2 Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm EDT
Opening Day #101
Victor Brashov's new restaurant is about to open, but still doesn't have a name or any employees. Vocabulary: giving and getting personal information; life skills: finding job openings and interviewing for a job.
- KET2 Tuesday, June 25 at 3:30 pm EDT
Growing Pains #102
Henry's plans to work at the café unravel, and a demanding health and safety inspector pays a visit. Topics: making introductions; immigrant families in a new culture.
- KET2 Thursday, June 27 at 3:30 pm EDT
Worlds Apart #103
When her boyfriend arrives from Mexico, Rosa must make a difficult decision. Brashov grapples with insomnia. Vocabulary: talking about wants.
- KET2 Tuesday, July 2 at 3:30 pm EDT
Who's the Boss #104
Jamal unexpectedly runs into two old friends who think he's the owner of the café. Topics: making apologies; strategies for job change.
- KET2 Thursday, July 4 at 3:30 pm EDT
Lost and Found #105
Katherine's son has behavior problems in school but gets help from an unexpected source. Jess and Carol's house is burglarized. Grammar: telling someone to do something. Documentary segment: neighbors working together to prevent crime.
- KET2 Tuesday, July 9 at 3:30 pm EDT
Time Is Money #106
Brashov brings in an over-eager efficiency expert, and Rosa struggles in her night school class. Topics: making suggestions; the importance of time.
- KET2 Thursday, July 11 at 3:30 pm EDT
Fish Out of Water #107
Brashov's brother arrives from Romania and finds that life in the United States is not what he expected. Vocabulary: describing experiences. Life skills: adjusting to a new culture.
- KET2 Tuesday, July 16 at 3:30 pm EDT
Family Matters #108
Katherine takes a second job to make ends meet, and Rosa teaches Henry to dance. Life skills: making offers; single parenting.
- KET2 Thursday, July 18 at 3:30 pm EDT
Rush to Judgment #109
Jam is a suspect in a bank robbery, and Henry's grandparents get lost in the city. Vocabulary: describing people; cultural information: the role of the police.
- KET2 Tuesday, July 23 at 3:30 pm EDT
Let the Buyer Beware #110
Brashov falls for a woman who promises to improve the café's business, and Katherine reluctantly goes on a date. Vocabulary: giving compliments; life skills: avoiding consumer scams.
- KET2 Thursday, July 25 at 3:30 pm EDT
No Vacancy #111
Rosa runs into an unexpected roadblock when she tries to move to a new apartment, and Henry tries his hand at journalism. Instructional topics: asking for clarification; identifying and fighting discrimination.
- KET2 Tuesday, July 30 at 3:30 pm EDT
Turning Points #112
The café is vandalized, and Rosa learns to drive. Vocabulary: talking about possibility; cultural information: problems with gangs and possible solutions.
- KET2 Thursday, August 1 at 3:30 pm EDT
Trading Places #113
The café employees switch jobs for a day, with mixed results. Jess and Carol have problems at home. Vocabulary: talking about ability; cultural information: couples and the roles they choose.
- KET2 Tuesday, August 6 at 3:30 pm EDT
Life Goes On #114
The café employees try to cope while Brashov is in the hospital. Vocabulary: describing things; cultural information: the hospital environment.
- KET2 Thursday, August 8 at 3:30 pm EDT