The O. Leonard Press Internship Program offers motivated college students an exceptional opportunity to gain skills and practical work experience in production, communications, and journalism at one of the largest and most respected statewide public broadcasting networks in the nation.
KET is looking for dedicated, hardworking, and organized students with a desire to pursue a career in public media, journalism, and/or communications.
Internship positions are intended to expose students to a variety of aspects in public broadcasting and media operations, as well as experience in day-to-day activities, events, and projects. Selected students will work closely with seasoned KET professionals in the creation, production, and/or promotion of public-affairs programs and content.
Opportunities include working with professional staff in two primary areas:
- Production – Working on programs like Comment on Kentucky, Kentucky Tonight, News Quiz, and legislative coverage.
- Communications – Working in promotion areas including writing for KET.org, press releases, and other materials, as well as the creation of interstitial elements.
The internship program may be customized to fit the student’s coursework, experience, and learning goals. Interns will perform and assist in various production- and communications-related duties rotating among four focus areas for a minimum of three weeks each. Focus areas will be assigned based on student preferences and production demands. Focus areas include:
- Video – Assisting in camera operation in the field and in the studio
- Audio – Assisting audio technicians in the field and in the studio
- Editing – Assisting in editing footage
- Graphic Design – Assisting in creating graphics for programs
- Production – Assisting with on-air promotion production; running teleprompter; logging and transcribing video and interviews
- Adminsitrative – Researching content, legislation, and other information; scheduling and providing hospitality for guests appearing on programs; assisting producers and associate producers
- Legislative Support – Support in all areas of production in Frankfort or Lexington
- Marketing and Communications – Assisting with the promotion of public affairs programs
- Additionally, students who qualify for internships in subsequent semesters will spend a minimum of six weeks in two focus areas that could also include on-air duties.
Qualified students must have strong computer, writing, and communication skills with course work and/or interest in Public Media, Journalism, Civics, Politics, Marketing, and Communications.
Student interns will have the option to choose preferred areas of focus in production or marketing, depending on skills and functional knowledge of Adobe Premiere, Avid Editing, and/or WordPress.
Students must be enrolled in a degree program at an accredited institution, have completed at least 24 academic credit hours or equivalent, and be in good academic standing.
Students must commit to at least one semester, or 120 hours, and have the flexibility to work evening hours, particularly on Monday and Friday. Accommodations may be offered for school schedules and coursework.
Internships may be ended or extended at KET’s discretion.
May require job-related travel including overnight stays; sitting and/or standing/walking for long periods; handling of average-weight objects up to 50 pounds.
Fall 2022 application deadline: April 15, 2022
For inquires or resume submission, please contact:
600 Cooper Drive
Lexington, KY 40502-2296