>>Back to Careers and Internships home | >> State/KET Application Word doc to download
KET is Kentucky’s only statewide media organization, serving more than one million people each week with programs and services that educate, inform, and inspire. In addition to broadcasting PBS programming, KET produces a variety of award-winning local productions. KET also creates and provides highly regarded instructional resources, reaching students and educators throughout Kentucky and the nation. KET has the following full-time job opening at the Network Center in Lexington:
Producer, Public Affairs
Reports To Managing Producer/Host, Public Affairs
- Responsible, under the supervision of the Managing Producer, for public affairs content. Oversee and coordinate the content, creative, and logistical elements of productions.
- Serve as producer and line producer during live and live to tape programs. Conduct topic research and development; work on topic selection and booking guests. Establish and maintain communications with guests, confirming schedules and program content. Conduct pre-production meetings with content experts and production staff. Review and edit production scripts and coordinate with field producer/reporter on story development of field segments. Coordinate remote feeds and maintain quality control over issue segment content. Work with graphics personnel to develop full screen visuals and to integrate social media elements into live productions
- Have established expertise to produce compelling and relevant program content. Produce background-type stories for public affairs programs and video segments as assigned.
- Create accurate and detailed offline, non-linear, edit decision lists in a timely and efficient manner; oversee online finish-edit sessions and all aspects of post-production including: graphics creation, audio post, and accurately log, categorize, and format all program content for digital archiving and Web delivery.
- Oversee the preparation and maintenance of records necessary for production, broadcast, and Web use of KET programming, including budgets, rights, contracts, music and video cue sheets, copyright information, and operational records and reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, political science, communications, or other related field plus five (5) years of television production experience. Practical experience in broadcast production may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
- Previous TV/radio news and production experience; knowledge of all phases of television production and previous legislative coverage experience desirable.
- Excellent people management skills; strong communication and organizational skills, and strong attention to detail are required.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team, in an environment of multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge and interest in Kentucky politics, history, and culture preferred.
- Proficiency with AVID non-linear editing preferred, along with strong computer skills.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, and for weekend and overnight travel.
- Must be able to carry production equipment (up to 40lbs).
- Must maintain a professional demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Dependent on qualifications and experience
Please send KET/state application, cover letter, and resume to: Employment & Recruiting, KET, 600 Cooper Drive, Lexington, KY 40502 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send via fax to 859-258-7766.
Position open until filled.
KET is an Equal Opportunity Employer.